(VRC6)Running hell, Geothermal, Moonsong, Scorching Back, Mischievous Robot, Last Battle & Living Waterway

Post your cover music here and receive feedback.
Forum rules
This area is dedicated to covers of existing songs. When posting a song, please include information about the original song.
VGT

(VRC6)Running hell, Geothermal, Moonsong, Scorching Back, Mischievous Robot, Last Battle & Living Waterway

Postby VGT » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:22 am

Here are the 7 songs from Cave Story(I'm sorry I forget the Living Waterway).
Hope y'all like them~~
Attachments
Living Waterway.ftm
(6.84 KiB) Downloaded 51 times
Scorching Back[vrc6].ftm
(17.4 KiB) Downloaded 43 times
Running Hell.ftm
(20.85 KiB) Downloaded 60 times
Geothermal-VRC6.ftm
(7.43 KiB) Downloaded 48 times
Moonsong - VRC6.ftm
(20.33 KiB) Downloaded 50 times
Mischievous Robot.ftm
(21.9 KiB) Downloaded 44 times
Last Battle.ftm
(19.18 KiB) Downloaded 56 times

wispybowl

Re: (VRC6)Running hell, Geothermal, Moonsong, Scorching Back, Mischievous Robot, Last Battle & Living Waterway

Postby wispybowl » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:16 pm

Hey, these are all pretty good in terms of correct notes but I think you need to work on your volume balancing. Having everything at volume F all the time just doesn't sound good. It makes people want to turn their speakers down. Try turning down a couple channels so that they're more in the background. This will make the more important parts of the song stand out better. I attached a cover I did of the theme from this game if you'd like to study it or keep it as a reference. Notice how you can easily focus on listening to one channel without muting the others. Nothing is too loud and overpowering, and everything sounds unique enough that it doesn't blend together.
Attachments
cave story.ftm
(55.41 KiB) Downloaded 47 times
I have no signature.

VGT

Re: (VRC6)Running hell, Geothermal, Moonsong, Scorching Back, Mischievous Robot, Last Battle & Living Waterway

Postby VGT » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:01 pm

wispybowl wrote:Hey, these are all pretty good in terms of correct notes but I think you need to work on your volume balancing. Having everything at volume F all the time just doesn't sound good. It makes people want to turn their speakers down. Try turning down a couple channels so that they're more in the background. This will make the more important parts of the song stand out better. I attached a cover I did of the theme from this game if you'd like to study it or keep it as a reference. Notice how you can easily focus on listening to one channel without muting the others. Nothing is too loud and overpowering, and everything sounds unique enough that it doesn't blend together.

I see, thank you!

Stratelier

Postby Stratelier » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:49 am

I gave your version of Last Battle a read and -- well, I agree with wispybowl's crit. Your percussion track is too loud on this one, but more importantly, where's the bass? Frames 03 through 0A literally don't have a bass track. You also didn't use Triangle or Sawtooth at all -- those two are well suited to bass tracks.

VGT

Postby VGT » Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:03 am

Stratelier wrote:I gave your version of Last Battle a read and -- well, I agree with wispybowl's crit. Your percussion track is too loud on this one, but more importantly, where's the bass? Frames 03 through 0A literally don't have a bass track. You also didn't use Triangle or Sawtooth at all -- those two are well suited to bass tracks.

But I don't know how to control the volume of Triangle and Sawtooth...

recme

Postby recme » Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:38 am

you cant control volume on triangle. its either on or off, the sound of the triangle. controlling volume for sawtooth isnt hard at all. its more or less like the pulse channels.

(tip: dont respond by saying you cant do something. just experiment with the things you arent aware about. thats how most people on this forum got their start.)

Stratelier

Postby Stratelier » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:18 pm

VGT wrote:But I don't know how to control the volume of Triangle and Sawtooth...

Controlling volume on Triangle is easy: you don't. All you need to worry about is note length (i.e. if/when to cut a note). Besides, bass tracks are generally the only thing down in that octave range anyway, it's okay to have it playing full blast.
Last edited by Stratelier on Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dwedit

Postby Dwedit » Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:39 pm

Scorching back is missing the bassline, and sounds really hollow.
When you're listening to the original songs for reference material, make sure you have a good pair of headphones. Likewise, when you are composing in Famitracker and listening to what you're doing, also make sure you have a good pair of headphones. Laptop Speakers and other speakers on portable devices are utterly worthless and sound horrible.

FuzzyLizard530

Postby FuzzyLizard530 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:00 am

Dwedit wrote:Scorching back is missing the bassline, and sounds really hollow.

I didn't catch it 'til I read it, but yeah. bass is definitely needed! :lol:

Otherwise, pretty solid cover IMO.

Mischievous robot sounds pretty good, too, except it seems to go out of tune around the 3rd or 4th frame...

All the others, to me, sound pretty faithful to the originals.
ollaxe wrote:This. Is. AMAZING!!! No, not sparta, what are you thinking with?

Return to “Cover Music”