Page 1 of 1

(VRC6)Running hell, Geothermal, Moonsong, Scorching Back, Mischievous Robot, Last Battle & Living Waterway

Posted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:22 am
by VGT
Here are the 7 songs from Cave Story(I'm sorry I forget the Living Waterway).
Hope y'all like them~~

Re: (VRC6)Running hell, Geothermal, Moonsong, Scorching Back, Mischievous Robot, Last Battle & Living Waterway

Posted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:16 pm
by wispybowl
Hey, these are all pretty good in terms of correct notes but I think you need to work on your volume balancing. Having everything at volume F all the time just doesn't sound good. It makes people want to turn their speakers down. Try turning down a couple channels so that they're more in the background. This will make the more important parts of the song stand out better. I attached a cover I did of the theme from this game if you'd like to study it or keep it as a reference. Notice how you can easily focus on listening to one channel without muting the others. Nothing is too loud and overpowering, and everything sounds unique enough that it doesn't blend together.

Re: (VRC6)Running hell, Geothermal, Moonsong, Scorching Back, Mischievous Robot, Last Battle & Living Waterway

Posted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:01 pm
by VGT
wispybowl wrote:Hey, these are all pretty good in terms of correct notes but I think you need to work on your volume balancing. Having everything at volume F all the time just doesn't sound good. It makes people want to turn their speakers down. Try turning down a couple channels so that they're more in the background. This will make the more important parts of the song stand out better. I attached a cover I did of the theme from this game if you'd like to study it or keep it as a reference. Notice how you can easily focus on listening to one channel without muting the others. Nothing is too loud and overpowering, and everything sounds unique enough that it doesn't blend together.


I see, thank you!

Re: (VRC6)Running hell, Geothermal, Moonsong, Scorching Back, Mischievous Robot, Last Battle & Living Waterway

Posted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:49 am
by Stratelier
I gave your version of Last Battle a read and -- well, I agree with wispybowl's crit. Your percussion track is too loud on this one, but more importantly, where's the bass? Frames 03 through 0A literally don't have a bass track. You also didn't use Triangle or Sawtooth at all -- those two are well suited to bass tracks.

Re: (VRC6)Running hell, Geothermal, Moonsong, Scorching Back, Mischievous Robot, Last Battle & Living Waterway

Posted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:03 am
by VGT
Stratelier wrote:I gave your version of Last Battle a read and -- well, I agree with wispybowl's crit. Your percussion track is too loud on this one, but more importantly, where's the bass? Frames 03 through 0A literally don't have a bass track. You also didn't use Triangle or Sawtooth at all -- those two are well suited to bass tracks.


But I don't know how to control the volume of Triangle and Sawtooth...

Re: (VRC6)Running hell, Geothermal, Moonsong, Scorching Back, Mischievous Robot, Last Battle & Living Waterway

Posted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:38 am
by recme
you cant control volume on triangle. its either on or off, the sound of the triangle. controlling volume for sawtooth isnt hard at all. its more or less like the pulse channels.

(tip: dont respond by saying you cant do something. just experiment with the things you arent aware about. thats how most people on this forum got their start.)

Re: (VRC6)Running hell, Geothermal, Moonsong, Scorching Back, Mischievous Robot, Last Battle & Living Waterway

Posted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:18 pm
by Stratelier
VGT wrote:But I don't know how to control the volume of Triangle and Sawtooth...

Controlling volume on Triangle is easy: you don't. All you need to worry about is note length (i.e. if/when to cut a note). Besides, bass tracks are generally the only thing down in that octave range anyway, it's okay to have it playing full blast.

Re: (VRC6)Running hell, Geothermal, Moonsong, Scorching Back, Mischievous Robot, Last Battle & Living Waterway

Posted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:39 pm
by Dwedit
Scorching back is missing the bassline, and sounds really hollow.
When you're listening to the original songs for reference material, make sure you have a good pair of headphones. Likewise, when you are composing in Famitracker and listening to what you're doing, also make sure you have a good pair of headphones. Laptop Speakers and other speakers on portable devices are utterly worthless and sound horrible.

Re: (VRC6)Running hell, Geothermal, Moonsong, Scorching Back, Mischievous Robot, Last Battle & Living Waterway

Posted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:00 am
by FuzzyLizard530
Dwedit wrote:Scorching back is missing the bassline, and sounds really hollow.


I didn't catch it 'til I read it, but yeah. bass is definitely needed! :lol:

Otherwise, pretty solid cover IMO.

Mischievous robot sounds pretty good, too, except it seems to go out of tune around the 3rd or 4th frame...

All the others, to me, sound pretty faithful to the originals.