DynamiteManEXE Presents - Cave Story [VRC6]

Post your cover music here and receive feedback.
Forum rules
This area is dedicated to covers of existing songs. When posting a song, please include information about the original song.
DynamiteManEXE

DynamiteManEXE Presents - Cave Story [VRC6]

Postby DynamiteManEXE » Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:03 am

After half a year, I have accomplished where many that I see have been left to doldrums: I have taken the vanilla soundtrack to Cave Story!

Why half a year? I've also been modding and playtesting my copy of Cave Story + to play my covers in lieu.
Well, that and school and life kept interfering.

I think it all snowballed when I did Moonsong back for Halloween, and I just went, "What the heck, I'LL DO 'EM ALL"

Took some inspirations and liberties here 'n there, didn't want to feel too restricted, though there are several that are just straight covers.

Of course, even now I could find little bits here and there that could be improved, so everyone go crazy with any critique!

I'll also come back to this later and add some extra songs like Wind Fortress, White, n such.
Attachments
CaveStory_VRC6.ftm
(567.9 KiB) Downloaded 657 times
Last edited by DynamiteManEXE on Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

MrKyurem

Re: DynamiteManEXE Presents - Cave Story [VRC6]

Postby MrKyurem » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:27 am

This is all yes. Every last bit of it. Notable examples of yes include the Meltdown mix (which was an awesome idea), the Last Battle (captured the essence of the original perfectly) and Running Hell (also Sealed Chamber, although I feel the instruments could've been a bit more guitar-plucky)

Apart from what I just said about Sealed Chamber, my only complaint is that, with the theme of witty names, Oppression should've been called Tumblr.

Gamma

Postby Gamma » Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:37 am

I think I remember one of your WIPs of this from the old forums. I've been grooving to this since I saw the upload on youtube, FANTASTIC job!

jaxcheese

Postby jaxcheese » Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:41 pm

Not in love with all the changes, but this is some good work.
Fan of:
Cave Story, Mega Man X, MOTHER 3, Star Fox 64, Super Metroid, Shining Force.
Classic SEGA, Treasure, Square, Falcom.
Various roguelike RPGs and shmups/bullet hells.
jaxcheese.bandcamp.com

DynamiteManEXE

Postby DynamiteManEXE » Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:03 pm

Not in love with all the changes

Neither am I 100%, but coulja specify?

jaxcheese

Postby jaxcheese » Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:53 pm

I might take a closer look through all of them later, I think, and get back to you on that. It's mostly preferential stuff, though, not so much actual errors or anything.
Fan of:
jaxcheese.bandcamp.com

jaxcheese

Postby jaxcheese » Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:37 pm

Alright, here's a track-by-track. I don't usually do this but I love Cave Story too much to pass it up this time. Prepare for nit-picking.

Cave Story: Instrumentation is nice, solo on chorus 3 is a little hard to hear.

Access: Background chords don't feel right to me but they're not too obtrusive. I feel this one should be kept simple, though.

Gestation: Not a big fan of the countermelody at 0C, but it's alright.

Mimiga Village: Little melody touches are alright. Like what you did with the drums frame 08-0A, but the fill at the end of 0A seems a little too much for this song, maybe drop the 32nd notes?

Plant: I actually like the melody touches and harmonies on this one. The pitch bending stuff fits the mood.

Balrog's Theme: That short, strong vibrato on the melody in 00-03 is really clever, totally fits the mood.

Gravity: Excellent except for one little gripe; and this is a problem I've found with most covers, one that I'm not sure other people even get, like a weird feel thing. In the original, there's a strong backbeat pretty much throughout, but the drums in the second half of frame 02 sort of "suspend" the backbeat with the fill, building tension into a release at frame 03. This happens a few other times in the song. I felt like you didn't quite capture that. (Anyone else get what I'm feeling here?)

Cemetary: I'd make the sawtooth bass a little slower to decay - instead of D straight to 7, maybe D to A or B. The original is more of a sustain, and I think it works better that way.

Safety: The triangle seems a bit too quiet to serve the melody that starts at frame 10, otherwise good.

Mischievous Robot: Don't really like your choice of tom DPCM, but otherwise excellent.

Pulse: Love the triangle slide down at frame 03, but it feels like it slides down into nothing rather than arriving somewhere. I'd say put in some bass on the triangle track but there's no bass in the original.

Grasstown: I definitely don't like changing the drums to add in a backbeat during the intro, it doesn't feel right. On the other hand, the double-time starting at frame 18 sounds great. The extra ornamentation you did with the triangle fits well, too.

Eyes of Flame: Melody changes don't sound too bad, but the melody does seem a bit quiet. Drums seem a bit bass-heavy at parts, but you did the alternating feel starting at 0C very well, so that's forgiven.

Meltdown: I'm assuming you took some cues from the beta version for this? I like it. The groove at frame 08 is good. The little break at the end of 05 is really cool, I might have even extended it further to the end of that frame. The second time through is cool, too. Great job on this one.

Tyrant: Drums don't sound quite right, I would've done noise and triangle drums instead of DPCM, just for a little more precision tuning.

Run: No problems here.

Jenka 1: Again, sounds fine.

Jenka 2: The countermelody carried by the triangle for the first frames could stand to be a bit louder. Maybe put it on a different channel.

Labyrinth Fight: I like the new intro. The melody is pretty well-executed too. The new drum groove from 16 to 19 is also nice.

Oppression: Nothing mcuh to say about this one.

Waterway: ^

Quiet: New drums are alright. Bass feels a bit overpowering.

Scorching Back: Great additions on this one, but I'd have the Pulse 2 melody at 0C come in right away at full volume instead of fading in - frames 0C and 0D feel a little bare rhythmically without that melody.

Moonsong: Sounds good.

Hero's End: Not really feeling the saw bass, I think it sounds better without it.

Last Cave: I prefer the double-time drums of the original over yours.

Balcony: good, but the bass feels a bit overpowering - I'd cut one of the two bass channels. I wish more people covering this would try to emulate the note cut "pops", I've always thought they give this song a unique character, whether or not they were intentional.

Charge: Sounds good, but I don't really see the point in transposing it before the loop. I guess it lengthens a bit, but for me it interrupts the groove a bit.

Zombie: ^

Last Battle: I like all the additions in this one, the portamento is again well-executed on the melody.

Break Down: No problems here.

Running Hell: No issues, extra stuff at frame 12-13 sounds nice.

Seal Chamber: Nothing to say about this one.

The Way Back Home: That new idea from frame 12 on is nice.

Nothing to say about the jingles.

Overall, it's great. I can see a lot of work went in to this, it's something to be proud of.
Fan of:
jaxcheese.bandcamp.com

DynamiteManEXE

Postby DynamiteManEXE » Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:02 am

Some of the changes you're not exactly fond of might be stemming from the fact I borrowed some cues from the rearranges done in the Steam and 3DS ports (and DM Dokuro's entire rearrange album as well), which many aren't particularly fond of in lieu of the original. In my opinion, it has some great recompositions, but suffers from subpar samples. That, I can't do much about since some of the changes I got from the rearranges, I liked and incorporated; BUT:

Gravity n Cemetery: Yeah I can see whatcha mean, I'll fiddle around with that.

Safety: Easy enough fix with some volume rebalancing.

Charge n Zombie: Eh, I just felt it needed that, though I understand where you're coming from.

Also wait where's Geothermal

jaxcheese

Postby jaxcheese » Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:55 pm

Oh, whoops. Well, Geothermal sounds fine anyway.
I'm not a huge fan of the most of the rearranges, so I guess that sorta makes sense. Some of the Wii/Cave Story+ tracks do have touches that I like, though, like that groaning effect around 0:22 of Jenka 2, and the new intro to Gestation.
Still cool to see someone put this much thought into taking bits from the different versions, though.
Fan of:
jaxcheese.bandcamp.com

OzzyKingofKings

Postby OzzyKingofKings » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:58 pm

Saw this some time ago, been digesting it for a while. This set is a monumental accomplishment. Especially enjoy the way tracks like Jenka 2 and Labyrinth Fight turned out; got a really nice group of duty cycles running around as they pick up.

Funny you should talk about taking cues from the various rearrangements. I remember a discussion on the old forum about how most people didn't like the PC/Wii reimaginings because most of them sound janky and cheap... which I can't really argue with, but man are there interesting ideas to be found! Almost every track has something new ranging from just tickling the ear with a new harmony progression to flat out recomposing large swaths of the originals. I'd say a lot of it is worth a look at the very least.