Moonlight Sonata

Post your cover music here and receive feedback.
Forum rules
This area is dedicated to covers of existing songs. When posting a song, please include information about the original song.
PinoBatch

Moonlight Sonata

Postby PinoBatch » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:49 am

I covered all three movements of Ludwig van Beethoven's Piano Sonata #14, also called "Moonlight Sonata", based on the Mutopia Project score. The third movement took at least twice as long to do as the first two combined.

If you're in a hurry and not on Safari, you can stream the Adagio, Allegretto, and Presto.
Attachments
moonlight_sonata.nsf
(16.44 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
moonlight_sonata.ftm
(53.17 KiB) Downloaded 73 times
If MMC5/VRC6 is a crutch, then VRC7 is a wheelchair ♿

slilly08

Re: Moonlight Sonata

Postby slilly08 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:04 pm

WOW! That was mighty impressive. I'm amazed you were able to do that without using any of the module expansions and still retain the harmonic identity of the piece.

I really like your use of the note delay (Gxx) effect to simulate rolled chords--it gives a much more authentic piano sound than having two notes sounding at the exact same time. And the way you staggered 8th or 16th note passages of a single line between two different channels is a wonderful effect; it sounds so much fuller to have each note sound twice as long as it normally would if the passage were written on a single channel (hopefully that makes sense).

Overall, very nice use of FamiTracker to give the piece a nice video-gamey makeover without sacrificing the harmony and identity of the original. The 3rd movement (which is obvious that it took much work) might be the best FamiTracker version I've ever heard of that particular piece. Wonderful job!

Do you have any other classical and/or piano pieces done or in progress on FamiTracker?

PinoBatch

Re: Moonlight Sonata

Postby PinoBatch » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:22 pm

I tend to shun expansions because I owned an NES growing up, and I still own an NES, not a Famicom.

Some time ago, I attempted a 2A03 cover of Beethoven's Piano Sonata #8 ("Grande sonate pathétique"). I did part of the first movement (Grave - Allegro), up until the repeat point, but I never finished it. There are parts where I pulled out a part and gave it to a flute (on Triangle). If there's demand, I might finish it and release it. Mangled versions of parts of the second and third movements (Adagio cantabile and Rondo: Allegro) ended up in the soundtrack of Thwaite, but I never publicly released the FTM prototypes before I transcribed them for use with Pently, my game-oriented NES audio engine.

Once I covered the second theme of the third movement of Edvard Grieg's Piano Concerto in A minor as a study in hemiola. I'll be posting that soon.
If MMC5/VRC6 is a crutch, then VRC7 is a wheelchair ♿

Return to “Cover Music”