WIP - Claude Debussy - Clair de Lune [VRC6]

Post your cover music here and receive feedback.
Forum rules
This area is dedicated to covers of existing songs. When posting a song, please include information about the original song.
dougjoe2e

WIP - Claude Debussy - Clair de Lune [VRC6]

Postby dougjoe2e » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:01 am

The famous 3rd movement of Debussy's _Suite Bergamasque_. I don't remember if I chose the module first (just to play around with) then the song or vice versa. Still working on refining some dynamics, tempo changes, and phrasing. I tried to do an echo/chorus type effect in quite a number of the faster 16th note sections - I'm not quite sure it's exactly what I want yet - more experimentation needed. It also seemed difficult to do "quiet" music in Famitracker in general.
Attachments
Clair de Lune.ftm
(58.82 KiB) Downloaded 82 times

Xyz

Re: WIP - Claude Debussy - Clair de Lune [VRC6]

Postby Xyz » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:14 am

I think the first 6 frames struggle dynamically because you're stuck using the blank instruments. I think you could afford to make instruments with unique volume envelopes to help with the intro.

A good example of quiet music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-RnRLvr4E0
Also a lot of Tim Follin stuff doens't actually get very loud. The pulses stay relatively quiet in order to let the triangle have some punch to it. But if you mute triangle+noise, then you also get a feel of how to work within a limited volume space.
There are a lot of places for vrc6 pulses are doubling the bass note on the saw (like the start of frame08) which I'm not too sure sounds good for covering classical piano. Might need to revoice those.

Love instrument 12 and the way the arps wiggle with the vibrato command.
>:( Fuck you hentai boy i hate you squid anus

dougjoe2e

Re: WIP - Claude Debussy - Clair de Lune [VRC6]

Postby dougjoe2e » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:36 am

Xyz wrote:I think the first 6 frames struggle dynamically because you're stuck using the blank instruments. I think you could afford to make instruments with unique volume envelopes to help with the intro.

I'd thought about that after I was a way in but was impatient and wanted to get to the end of the song first before I went back and tried to rework the beginning.

Xyz wrote:A good example of quiet music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-RnRLvr4E0
Also a lot of Tim Follin stuff doens't actually get very loud. The pulses stay relatively quiet in order to let the triangle have some punch to it. But if you mute triangle+noise, then you also get a feel of how to work within a limited volume space.

Very interesting piece! Thanks for sharing. I know one can use the Z command in the DPCM channel to do volume tricks with the triangle, but the last time I messed around with it I wasn't happy with the range for what I was working on at the time... so I just wimped out and avoided it this time.

Xyz wrote:There are a lot of places for vrc6 pulses are doubling the bass note on the saw (like the start of frame08) which I'm not too sure sounds good for covering classical piano. Might need to revoice those.

I wasn't necessarily going for a "perfect/pure" piano sound (the little pitch glides scattered around for example, would sound quite different as true piano glissandos). There are lots of places in the sheet music where there's an 16th note arp in the left hand but the first note of the arp is written as a longer note, not to mention places where it looks like there aren't enough fingers to play the thing... I learned later that the piano pedals come into play when one performs the piece, even though it's not specifically marked in the sheet music. But I think I agree that the saw is not necessarily the best instrument there.

Xuz wrote:Love instrument 12 and the way the arps wiggle with the vibrato command.

Thanks! There were a lot of places where I wasn't sure how the vibrato and the arps would go together. This was also an interesting piece to do because I had lots of choices about how to break up a lot of the thick chords going on in one hand, especially the right hand/melody.

In general, much of the work on this was just experimenting with different ideas and concepts - if there was something that didn't sound too awful I left it in. Thanks for taking the time to listen and give all the constructive feedback!

Return to “Cover Music”