"Dark Halls" (E1M3) from Doom (and the story of NEDM)

Post your cover music here and receive feedback.
Forum rules
This area is dedicated to covers of existing songs. When posting a song, please include information about the original song.
PinoBatch

"Dark Halls" (E1M3) from Doom (and the story of NEDM)

Postby PinoBatch » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:21 pm

This is a cover of "Dark Halls" (E1M3) from Id Software's Doom (1993) (listen on YouTube). As with the rest of Doom's soundtrack, it was inspired by metal music of the time. After hearing RavenousSoothing's VRC7 cover, I decided to see what the 2A03 alone could do wi--NEDM

We interrupt this program with a story about a controversy involving a different song from the Doom soundtrack. One user of the website YTMND ("B") created a page syncing "Sweet Little Dead Bunny", from the ending of Doom, to a video clip of a caged housecat being burned alive that had been taken from the website Ogrish (the predecessor of LiveLeak). The page was removed after a few hours, but not before another user ("TG") looked through the list of users who liked the page and disliked all their pages. When one victim of this downvote retaliation ("S") saw what was going on, he explained to TG that he had liked the cat-burning page only for the irony of using "SLDB". TG reversed the downvotes on S's pages and left a reply: "Still... nothing justifies 5'ing burning kittens. Not even Doom music." The term "NEDM" on YTMND has since come to refer to something that nothing justifies liking.

When "NEDM" was popular, many sites on YTMND would set up a situation and then interrupt it with the letters "N-E-D-M" spoken through a synthesized voice followed by a clip of "We Interrupt This Programme (Jean Claude Ades remix)" by Coburn (listen on YouTube). Then it'd cut to a photo of the former mascot of Happy Cat cat food (or some other cat), occasionally with references to animal cruelty prevention, firefighting, and/or ChapStick.
Attachments
e1m3.nsf
(15.01 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
e1m3.ftm
(22.34 KiB) Downloaded 66 times
If MMC5/VRC6 is a crutch, then VRC7 is a wheelchair ♿

RavenousSoothing

Re: "Dark Halls" (E1M3) from Doom (and the story of NEDM)

Postby RavenousSoothing » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:58 pm

Not gonna lie, I bust out laughing when it dropped. I also liked the legit part. But...

PinoBatch wrote:After hearing RavenousSoothing's VRC7 cover

"VRC7 Is a wheelchair"

Ouch. :lol: I really liked the cover though. I realized the drums were more accurate than mine too, so nice job.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN1Bwv ... vViHGRrjGw

"You are not a brave hero, the princess is oftentimes just a woman, and the dragon cannot be slain, if there is a dragon at all. That is why many choose to bow their heads and not try.

Return to “Cover Music”