MM's Covers Thread

Post your cover music here and receive feedback.
Forum rules
This area is dedicated to covers of existing songs. When posting a song, please include information about the original song.
MiniMacro

MM's Covers Thread

Postby MiniMacro » Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:48 pm

Alright, here is a few covers I'm currently working on.
And one that I finished.
Q-Boy.ftm
Q-Boy - Final Boss Theme (0.5 beta)
(7.54 KiB) Downloaded 99 times

Solstice.ftm
Solstice - Level Theme
(3.04 KiB) Downloaded 122 times

Buzz And Waldog.ftm
Buzz and Waldog- World 1
(7.71 KiB) Downloaded 69 times

bca2.ftm
Bionic Commando - Area Theme 2
(3.28 KiB) Downloaded 81 times
wow this is total BS
mmsound.bandcamp.com
you can see my beautiful music there~

Alexander283

Re: MM's Covers Thread

Postby Alexander283 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:35 pm

Oh boy - a Solstice track. Solstice is a really complex soundtrack by Tim Follin (you know, the *god* of NES music). I wondered how this went. Listen to Original - Download - Famitracker - Play. "Huh - actually not that bad" - I thought. Then, like a sledgehammer, frame 05 hit.
You see the notes before you in NSFImport. You clearly hear this is an automatic portamento (I assume) with an echo effect. So what do you turn it into?

Playing the *same note* on *two channels* at the *same time*. Even with the same duty cycle.

Please answer me this. What possible effect/use/sound/technique did you intend behind this? For what reason and with what sense did you place that there the way it is? Just ... why?
Other than that obnoxious elephant in the room, this track seems okay so far.

MiniMacro

Postby MiniMacro » Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:39 pm

Well, I wasn't sure what to do there, and I posted it along with these incomplete covers so people could see my progress and possibly get help. I should have probably made a separate thread.
Now, the Q-Boy final boss theme. I posted it on YouTube as a guess the song thingy, but people thought I just made a horrid cover of a good song, so I revealed the answer.
wow this is total BS
mmsound.bandcamp.com
you can see my beautiful music there~

Alexander283

Postby Alexander283 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:31 pm

I have to say: I am honestly impressed.
Not only did you make the absolutely irrational decision to take a *BOOTLEG* NES game with music almost as bad as what you "compose" yourself as a cover - which in your case is meant to learn how to make good music (so not an ideal example), but you also managed to mae a sub-par cover of a bootleg music track. Let me repeat.
Your cover of a bootleg track (that makes me want to slice off my ears with a paper guilloutine and has the technical marvel of a brick) is actually worse than the original.

How about you stick to the following tracks:
Easy, maybe early NES music with memorable melodys (what you really should learn if you ever want to compose better than a narcoleptic on a piano) like say: The original Super Mario Bros., the Legend of Zelda, Balloon Fight, Duck Hunt and other games from around 1985. Those are on your level of 2a03 technique and provide some of the most well thought out melodies in video game history.

On restrospect after writing this, sorry about being so harsh but ... seriously, what have you been thinking to select this of all tracks to cover??
Also - on a sidenote - better stay away from youtube. Take this as a friendly tip. Youtube is quite the toxic ecosystem if you don't (or sometimes even if you do) provide quality content.

8BitZtunerYT

Postby 8BitZtunerYT » Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:37 pm

It doesn't matter how HARD you try, he won't really listen.
Our efforts trying to improve on what he does is just a waste of time imho.
In all seriousness, we should stop, move on to better things, not giving him almost all attention.
slowly ceasing to exist.
"8BitZ caresses his keyboard as he orgasms to the sounds of Winamp."
-retrodpc, 2015

Alexander283

Postby Alexander283 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:41 pm

As long as he does covers - provided he makes *sensible choices* - I don't think there's any harm in that.

8BitZtunerYT

Postby 8BitZtunerYT » Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:44 pm

*cough* his originals *cough*
slowly ceasing to exist.
"8BitZ caresses his keyboard as he orgasms to the sounds of Winamp."
-retrodpc, 2015

Alexander283

Postby Alexander283 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:53 pm

... fair point, those are eargrating to the point of environmental audio pollution.

Hey, MiniMacro, I know you're probably gonna read this. As I said. Easy covers of songs that sound good. M'kay? Could you do that?
Thx have a good day.

Dr. Merio

Postby Dr. Merio » Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:56 pm

Let's not turn this into another MiniMacro-bashing thread please. Just a little heads-up for future readers. Also Alex has some good advice here, I suggest you follow it.
My current avatar is why we need bigger avatars. >:C
Check out my YouTube channel!
[Dropbox (my FT stuff)]

w7n

Postby w7n » Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:12 pm

I listened to all of these.

Advice that would not be repeated:
The first step should be imitation: Try to listen to a particular game company's(known for good music of course) track and try to imitate this style. For example, listen to Capcom's MM2/3/6 soundtracks and try to cover other pieces in this style, listen to Sunsoft's Journey to Silius etc. soundtracks and cover other rock-style songs in this style. If you do have some experience with music like what you said you will learn from these tracks. (But if you actually don't then you really should start with simple tracks, like Alex said)
Also at the same time try to figure how things work. For example, 'why does Sunsoft use triangle for percussion? Even if I mute the triangle I hear no difference!' In this case put your headphones on and the difference will be amplified..

It's too early to give the second step.
nsf.nesbbs.com under reconstruction, better player might be available in the future.

VRC6 PWM is GAY because it has colours of the rainbow in the NSFPlay keyboard visualizer.

Return to “Cover Music”