King Crimson - In Court of The Crimson King Album Thread

Post your cover music here and receive feedback.
Forum rules
This area is dedicated to covers of existing songs. When posting a song, please include information about the original song.
James_S

King Crimson - In Court of The Crimson King Album Thread

Postby James_S » Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:58 am

I am attempting to cover the whole album consisting of
1. 21st Century Schizoid Man (done)
2. I Talk to the Wind (done)
3. Epitaph
4. Moonchild
5. The Court of the Crimson King
which will be a challenge.

I have already completed the first track, please tell me if there are any noticable errors.
I have also changed the outro to the first piece because in the original it is quite literally the band playing random notes, and I figured that i might as well end it at the part before it.

Once this is done and completing I plan to put it on bandcamp (my first!) with this album art:

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4eRpwR ... VrMmiiYddw
(this is not the original version, but a rerecording because it was the only one i could find on youtube.)
Attachments
.In Court of the Crimson King.ftm
(60.95 KiB) Downloaded 83 times
Last edited by James_S on Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AKA FamicomForever
click for BEPIS!!!!

James_S

Re: King Crimson - In Court of The Crimson King Album Thread

Postby James_S » Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:24 pm

Update, second song is now done.
edit: fixed volume issues, still trying that frame 00 clashing.
edit2: fixed 00 clashing
Attachments
(87.34 KiB) Downloaded 56 times
AKA FamicomForever
click for BEPIS!!!!

Amilgi

Postby Amilgi » Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:14 pm

Ambitious project you have here, considering there's all of about 0 repeated frames in this album :lol: So congrats on completing two of these, it's more than I could do. This album is a favorite of mine, so I'm happy to see someone else working on it.

Overall the notes in both songs are pretty good - there's a ton of slightly off notes and timings, but it'd be nearly impossible to get them all right, especially in a tracker - I'll attach my unfinished 21stCSM so you can compare the notes, see if you think you missed any. Probably the biggest criticism I have is for the instrumentation - A lot of them feel kind of "flat". Here's my feedback:
21st:
- The bass could have some punch (12 0 arp) or be a more interesting wave than tri + saw. Maybe some decay and S0X note cuts?
- The DPCM tom sounds out of place
- Voice sounds cool but kind of soft
- The guitar has slightly different/more full chords in the intro I think
- I think frames 09-0C are off with the guitar/sax - they switch octaves and notes at some point
- When only one lead is present, some echo might sound cool (like the guitar frames 10-15)
- I stopped my cover around frame 17 - so great attempt at getting this manic section correct, it turned out good
- Stuff needs more vibrato in general
- Can't blame you for not doing the ending
- Overall the piece doesn't have the insane dynamic range of the original, but it's to be expected with 4bit volume
- Again, instruments are just kinda simple and lackluster, especially for N163.

Wind:
- The flute really needs some attack and vibrato - it sounds unnatural otherwise. (Maybe use a namco channel?)
- Vocals could use some release or S00 between notes
- Flute echo on frames like 11-12 might sound nice
- Arp (frames 04-06) doesn't fit imo. Maybe you wanted the gritty arp sounds to come through here?
- This piece gets more of the volume dynamics right

Sorry for the wall of text, but hopefully it helps. I wish you good luck with the rest of this. Moonchild is gonna be tough, I imagine.
Also, your album art isn't showing for me, but I'm guessing it looks a bit like this (album art converted to an NES .rom hehe):
And btw, are you on a mission to cover all of /mu/core or something? I'm expecting Death Grips covers at this rate :^)
Attachments
21st Century Schizoid Man VRC 6 V2 solodone.ftm
(55.72 KiB) Downloaded 49 times
View my work here: Dropbox

James_S

Postby James_S » Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:25 pm

Amilgi wrote:Ambitious project you have here, considering there's all of about 0 repeated frames in this album :lol: So congrats on completing two of these, it's more than I could do. This album is a favorite of mine, so I'm happy to see someone else working on it.

Overall the notes in both songs are pretty good - there's a ton of slightly off notes and timings, but it'd be nearly impossible to get them all right, especially in a tracker - I'll attach my unfinished 21stCSM so you can compare the notes, see if you think you missed any. Probably the biggest criticism I have is for the instrumentation - A lot of them feel kind of "flat". ...

I planned to go back after I was done to mix all thr songs right, but since I have a list i might as well do it now! haha
i should probably also take advantage of the 2a03 pulses that i dont use in #1, but I'll get to work on that for now.
AKA FamicomForever
click for BEPIS!!!!

Radnyx

Postby Radnyx » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:53 am

Really glad to see people tackling these huge prog albums. Don't stop working on this!

Also I'd like to see sometime in the future a huge collab on some prog album.

rainwarrior
Forum Staff

Postby rainwarrior » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:13 pm

That section about 1:50 into Schizoid is very Pac Man.

rainwarrior
Forum Staff

Postby rainwarrior » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:25 pm

You might consider moving more of the orchestration in Schizoid over to the 2A03 pulses. The Namco 163 has a very dull sound, partly because of its low samplerate, and partly because of the composition of the waveforms you're using. There's much more clarity in Wind compared to Shizoid, which is well transcribed but sounds a bit muddy in the orchestration.

littlelamp100

Postby littlelamp100 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:21 am

Oh lol you used my SRW drums. kewl
This is very ambitious, and it must've taken forever. Please try to finish, that'd be impressive.

James_S

Postby James_S » Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:33 am

Okay, ive fixed many issues except for a few like the voice, as I can't find a good solution for it at the moment; when I am done with a couple of more songs I'm sure I would have thought of something by then. Schizoid man is pretty much fixed, but I have yet to fix Talk to the Rain.
Attachments
v3
(104.61 KiB) Downloaded 34 times
AKA FamicomForever
click for BEPIS!!!!

James_S

Postby James_S » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:17 am

okay so i think i fixed all major issues with I Talk to the Wind; its pretty much done now.
if there are any more issues please tell me.
i also started 3: epitaph if you want to peek at it.
Attachments
(116.96 KiB) Downloaded 63 times
AKA FamicomForever
click for BEPIS!!!!

Return to “Cover Music”