HEYYEYAAEYAAAEYAEYAA - 2A03 Cover

Post your cover music here and receive feedback.
Forum rules
This area is dedicated to covers of existing songs. When posting a song, please include information about the original song.
Trayson

HEYYEYAAEYAAAEYAEYAA - 2A03 Cover

Postby Trayson » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:51 pm

Also known as What's Up by 4 Non Blondes

remixed as Fabulous Secret Powers by slackcircus

I made this in the course of about 3 hours. There are a few things to nitpick. For example, the "Don't cry out loud" part is really messy;
and the volume may sound kinda funky in some areas... so... sorry. :I

I did my best to make everything sound clean and blend in, but I might come back to it later when I have more knowledge of how to fix it and still have it sound true to the original [remix].

But anyway, I love this song!
Attachments
Cover - HEYYEYAAEYAAAEYAEYAA.ftm
(52.47 KiB) Downloaded 259 times

PostApocolyptica

Re: HEYYEYAAEYAAAEYAEYAA - 2A03 Cover

Postby PostApocolyptica » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:23 pm

Decent cover, though it lacks the homoerotic undertones of the original He-Man series.
Sarumi is best ship; confirmed and manifested.

YouTube
Twitter
SoundCloud

Amilgi

Postby Amilgi » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:01 am

omg I love it

Most of the details/oddities of the remix (quiet section @ 21, vocal inflections, etc) sound great! And although it can be a bit manic with the 1-frame arps, you manged to squeeze most the chords and other stuff down really well. DPCM Skeleltor is cool too - although it might be more fitting if done with a pulse, as the DPCM sample kinda sticks out.

I made an edit with fixes/changes:
- Frame 08's "And I say..." sounds weird with the clashing notes - was this intentional?
- Frames 10-11 - the beast voice didn't sound gritty enough, so I tried using your 01 instrument. It's different, but idk if I'd keep it. Maybe an 00C arp could work as well?
- Fixed(?) frame 13 and 16 echo.
- Various parts that end with a "I say hey" before moving pulse 1 to the short squares, I though were too sudden a transition, so I added a buffer and fade
- Vocal chords on frame 20 sounded wrong, I think I fixed them(?). Also missing a 200 on the triangle(?). Speaking of which, on frames 1D-20, you made a good attempt to include the other vocals - I imagine this part was tough.
Attachments
Cover - HEYYEYAAEYAAAEYAEYAA fix.ftm
(52.44 KiB) Downloaded 91 times
View my work here: Dropbox

Trayson

Postby Trayson » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:35 am

Thanks for the feedback!

Amilgi wrote:- Frame 08's "And I say..." sounds weird with the clashing notes - was this intentional?

Actually it was intentional. In the song, the EQ of Adam's voice is different, with a more... thin(?) sound to it. (I can't think of a better way to describe it.) And the sound of V01 & V03 in sync cancelling out most of each wave gives it that sorta effect... at least for me it did, but idk. Maybe it wasn't necessary.

Yeah, I agree with what you're saying about the DPCM inclusions... I guess I just looked past that fact because by the start of making this cover, I had already planned to use DPCM for Skeletor that I didn't even consider an alternative pulse wave approach... Whatevs I guess.

By the way, everything you fixed sounds sooo much better, hahah. Sounds way more polished than before. :)

BioMechanicalDude

Postby BioMechanicalDude » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:47 am

This is freaking awesome! :D Finally, somebody made a cover of that remix!
Anyway, this is very faithful to the original. DPCM Skeletor is an awesome addition, but the samples are too quiet. If you can increase the volume, either by amplifying the original samples or by using the Zxx effect, it would be even better.
Greetings! I'm That Bio Mechanical Dude and I like creating various stuff like movies, games and of course chiptunes!
You can check out my YouTube Channel.
You can also follow me on Twitter.

Overlord99

Postby Overlord99 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:23 pm

That MYAAH sample killed me. Good work.

rainwarrior
Forum Staff

Postby rainwarrior » Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:01 pm

This is not bad!

Trayson

Postby Trayson » Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:36 am

Thanks, everyone. :)

Here's a more improved version

-fixed "Don't cry out loud" part (kinda). (So many layers go on during this part, and I want to keep it 2A03, so it's going to be very arp-y.)

-changed Skeletor's part to a pulse wave for consistency (I left the DPCM samples in the file though)

-along with Amilgi's fixes (except the first "And I say" part)

I'm pretty sure that's all of the changes. Maybe I'll add the intro and outro later on.
Attachments
Cover - HEYYEYAAEYAAAEYAEYAA (2).ftm
(53.75 KiB) Downloaded 117 times

Dwedit

Postby Dwedit » Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:05 pm

Maybe use the DMC trick to reduce triangle wave volume during the stirring the pot sequence.

recme

Postby recme » Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:32 am

yeah, agreeing with dwedit here. maybe a Z70 effect on the dpcm channel can be added at frame 21

Return to “Cover Music”