Metroid Soundtrack (VRC6) (WIP)

Post your cover music here and receive feedback.
Forum rules
This area is dedicated to covers of existing songs. When posting a song, please include information about the original song.
PaulMannIV

Metroid Soundtrack (VRC6) (WIP)

Postby PaulMannIV » Fri May 08, 2015 4:06 am

I really need to update more.

Okay, so...update will be kept up as new posts. Keep posted.
Attachments
Metroid (VRC6).nsf
(163.38 KiB) Downloaded 186 times
Metroid (VRC6).ftm
(563.07 KiB) Downloaded 435 times
Last edited by PaulMannIV on Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:18 am, edited 11 times in total.
Should I know what this "VRC7" is and why my friends want me to learn it?

Dr. Merio

Re: Metroid Soundtrack (VRC6) (WIP)

Postby Dr. Merio » Sat May 09, 2015 11:32 pm

In response to your post on the old forums:
PaulMannIV wrote:I personally don't find the mixing THAT bad, maybe the exception being Brinstar at times, and if the bass is too much"..my fault. I always preferred a harder bass regardless, but everyone is a bit different. This is only first draft stuff...maybe except Ridley battle, I actually enjoy the finished product.

Later, in both forums, I will update a couple songs with some minor changes to help with the mixing. What works in other variations doesn't always work with these.

Is it also too much to ask for personal favorites and least favorites to know what to keep with and what to avoid in the future? I already see either Ridley's Lair or Mother Brain as the least, so I'll look forward to tweaking those

Yeah, I agree that Brinstar has a few mixing issues here and there. Maybe you could try raising the lead's volume a little, like 1 or 2 values. The bass is fine though, I don't think it needs tweaking.

The same could be said about Kraid's Lair, but otherwise it sounds cool.

Ridley's Lair is also good. I do think that the silence in frames 06 and 07 is a bit odd, but it also kinda adds to the suspense the song is supposed to have.

Ridley's Battle sounds a bit muffled in a few places, which is mainly because there are too many low pitches interacting together. There's not much you can do to help this though, but you could try adding a few Pxx effects on the triangle and/or sawtooth channels and see if anything is improved. I'm not sure if this would work well though because it's a lot harder to remove clashing notes at low pitches than it is at higher ones. You did a good job on this though.

I don't have anything to say about the rest of the songs, mostly because they're pretty good as they are. I like the Title song more than the others, but if I chose another one, if would probably be either Brinstar or Kraid's Lair.
My current avatar is why we need bigger avatars. >:C
Check out my YouTube channel!
[Dropbox (my FT stuff)]

jrlepage
Forum Staff

Postby jrlepage » Sun May 10, 2015 12:05 am

That PWM on VRC6 channels gets old really fast. I think you could've been more creative there instead of resorting to that all the time.

Not a fan of Ridley's Lair at all. I think the original worked better.

I appreciate the hard work that went into this but those are some issues I think the soundtrack could do without.
Follow me on Twitter.

PaulMannIV

Postby PaulMannIV » Sun May 10, 2015 1:23 am

It's all a first draft--it will be changed before finalizations. This is something I worked on for a full day and thought "hey, sounds okay enough, and some of it I can get into." More work will definitely be put into it whenever my girlfriend isn't tired of me looping it to find problems with it. PWM lead will be changed in a couple songs, definitely, and Brinstar will be receive harmony and volume edits.
Ridley's Lair is one of those I didn't know what to do with, honestly. That's really one of the hardest songs I'd have worked with thus far. The emptiness of the original just worked better, honestly.
Appreciate the feedback from everyone thus far. Will work on after Mother's Day for sure.

Edit 1: Update has been posted.

jrlepage
Forum Staff

Postby jrlepage » Sun May 10, 2015 11:58 am

PaulMannIV wrote:More work will definitely be put into it whenever my girlfriend isn't tired of me looping it to find problems with it.

Headphones have been a lifesaver for me in this regard. :p
Follow me on Twitter.

PaulMannIV

Postby PaulMannIV » Sun May 10, 2015 9:37 pm

More edits have been made today, particular to Brinstar, and Tourian AND the Bonus song have been started.

Dr. Merio

Postby Dr. Merio » Sun May 10, 2015 10:10 pm

Much better now. The mixing has really improved in Brinstar, and I like how you added a little more variation to the leads in Kraid's Lair.

Ridley's Battle doesn't sound that muffled anymore and I like how you raised the lead in the last 5 frames by one octave. Now that you edited it, can you see what I meant about removing clashing notes at lower pitches? The problem with it is that the note phasing is a lot more apparent at low pitches than it is at higher ones. Despite that, it sounds much better than it did before imo.

I don't like some of the harmonies in Tourian, but unfortunately I don't really have any suggestions on how to improve them. :(

Also just taking a wild guess: Is the bonus song from Metroid 2?
My current avatar is why we need bigger avatars. >:C
Check out my YouTube channel!
[Dropbox (my FT stuff)]

PaulMannIV

Postby PaulMannIV » Sun May 10, 2015 10:30 pm

Dr. Merio wrote:I don't like some of the harmonies in Tourian, but unfortunately I don't really have any suggestions on how to improve them. :(

Also just taking a wild guess: Is the bonus song from Metroid 2?

Like I said, still working on said harmonies. Wanted to give a Zero Mission feel, which includes high AND low octaves with an additional harmony note and the hanging note just out of random. It's going to be painful to finish completely.

As for the bonus song, you're correct.

PaulMannIV

Postby PaulMannIV » Fri May 15, 2015 5:34 pm

Prepare for a big update this weekend. Been working on a few themes and they're sounding pretty good so far. In advance, the bonus song is not treating me well, so if it sounds off in the next update, you know before the disappointment. I'll do what I can to make it better, though.

PaulMannIV

Postby PaulMannIV » Sat May 16, 2015 5:10 pm

So I have a...sort-of mini-update while I work on a couple songs, but these are the changes:

Ridley's Battle: Regressed to the original main instruments for the repetitive parts, as they just sound heavier (and that was the theme I was originally going for). New instruments remain in places, though.

Escape Theme: Still incomplete, but I have the most well known part done. In fact, you could say I'm down to choosing which Escape Theme of the two on the .ftm is better (I'm leaning second, as the first one just sounds like Brinstar and the second one sounds more unique).

Bonus: More of it is done and slightly more polished. Still not completely done and not even completely sure if this is the path I want to go down with this song, but...we'll see how it goes later.

Stuck on Kraid's Battle and Norfair and how one should even tackle those, but...hey, that's what time is for.