Lean On - Major Lazer & DJ Snake (2a03 + DPCM + MMC5)

Post your cover music here and receive feedback.
Forum rules
This area is dedicated to covers of existing songs. When posting a song, please include information about the original song.
zephyrinflateddragon

Lean On - Major Lazer & DJ Snake (2a03 + DPCM + MMC5)

Postby zephyrinflateddragon » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:53 pm

A loose cover of Lean On, however, artistic liberties were taken and several parts (such as the descant at the end) were altered. It is not my best work, and it certainly shows, especially with the drums. Anyways, let me know what I'm doing wrong. Thanks!

leanon2.ftm
(16.23 KiB) Downloaded 82 times

Potentialing

Re: Lean On - Major Lazer & DJ Snake (2a03 + DPCM + MMC5)

Postby Potentialing » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:22 am

Really nice job with this! Great job doing the entire song and nice job with the sound design too! For the most part this is pretty much solid, but there were a couple of minor things I noticed that I think I should mention:

- I tweaked the noise rhythm a bit to sound more like the original. Try sub-dividing: Imagine that there's a bunch of triplets playing throughout the entire song, and it might help out with those shuffle rhythms!

- Try to use note release to play 1/3rd the original holding volume instead of chopping off your all your pulse channel notes. (Can't really do this on Triangle channel, though, but I think it should be fine in this context.)

- If you're using echo, try to slightly detune it with a P81/P7F to avoid same-pitch clashing.

- I'm guessing you already know this, but if you assign a volume on a channel, there's no need to redefine it unless something like Axy changes the volume of the channel. This also applies to all those "164" pitchbends you have on the noise channel. (I'm guessing lazy copy-paste? I admittedly do that a lot myself, haha)

- D00 essentially does the same thing as Bxx, if xx is the next frame.

- Stylistic preference, but I think using Duty Cycle/Noise Frequency V01/V03 on the noise channel tends to make a slightly better kick attack.

- The last note of the song is kind of short, so I'd hold it out a bit longer.

I've attached a modified version. Hope this helps!
Attachments
leanon2_edit.ftm
(41.66 KiB) Downloaded 53 times