My first 2A03 cover: Airman Ga Taosenai

Post your cover music here and receive feedback.
Forum rules
This area is dedicated to covers of existing songs. When posting a song, please include information about the original song.
Chieftanaxe

My first 2A03 cover: Airman Ga Taosenai

Postby Chieftanaxe » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:28 am

This is my first real project in Famitracker. I know it isn't perfect but I think it came out pretty nice.
Attachments
airman.ftm
(31.96 KiB) Downloaded 145 times

Potentialing

Re: My first 2A03 cover: Airman Ga Taosenai

Postby Potentialing » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:50 am

Wow, really nice job getting all of those notes: I'm impressed you covered the entire song! There are a couple of things I'd like to point out, though, and I hope you don't mind me editing this file but:

- If you retrigger a note with a basic, one-frame volume envelope, it will not sound like you are re-triggering the note. Therefore, you should use the release command (the = "note") in the note data. Make sure you add a release command in the volume envelope too, though! You can do that by right-clicking+dragging under the volume envelope. (F8 to mute everything if it's holding out while you're placing notes)

- Your triangle channel bassline is playing higher pitches than your Pulse 2. Because of this, you are essentially inverting your chords, where something like (C E G) became (E C G). I moved the bass down, because if I moved Pulse 2 up instead, it would end up clashing with Pulse 1's notes, which would create a different issue. Actually, I wasn't listening carefully enough, and this doesn't really apply here. Whoops!

- Try to use lower volume levels on your pulse 1/2/noise, because Triangle can't (easily) change volume! Because this song is using the standard 4 channels in the 2A03 sound chip without using DPCM, try to aim for volume levels around 9 or A. Please note that I'm referring to the green blocks under the channel name as the song is playing, because that is the Output volume, which is the instrument/song data volume combined!

- In addition to the previous note, try to make your melody on pulse 1 more dominant in volume than your harmony/countermelodies on pulse 2. You don't have to avoid the higher volumes past A, but try to get a feel for when you should use them!

- Try to add some closed and open hihats in-between your kick/snares to make your percussion sound more interesting in-between: the small stuff can do a lot!

- For your longer notes, try using 4xy vibrato! It helps keep a long note sound more interesting and ultimately avoids preventing the listener from getting tired of the note. (Please note that the higher of a pitch/note you play, the lower you should make your vibrato depth. Also, don't forget to disable it with 400 when you play your next note!)

- Realize that, because your song is at Speed F04, your "S04" and "G04" commands will not actually work until the next row. This means the note will end up holding until the next one in a case like this: Image

Anyway, I hope this helps! I've attached my edited version in case you want to study some of the things I mentioned.
Attachments
airman_edit.ftm
(obsolete file; posted newer version later in thread)
(98.91 KiB) Downloaded 75 times
Last edited by Potentialing on Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dwedit

Postby Dwedit » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:49 am

There was a nice Romhack (Mario vs. Air Man) that also used this music.

Chieftanaxe

Postby Chieftanaxe » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:57 am

Potentialing wrote:Wow, really nice job getting all of those notes: I'm impressed you covered the entire song! There are a couple of things I'd like to point out, though, and I hope you don't mind me editing this file but:

- If you retrigger a note with a basic, one-frame volume envelope, it will not sound like you are re-triggering the note. Therefore, you should use the release command (the = "note") in the note data. Make sure you add a release command in the volume envelope too, though! You can do that by right-clicking+dragging under the volume envelope. (F8 to mute everything if it's holding out while you're placing notes)

- Your triangle channel bassline is playing higher pitches than your Pulse 2. Because of this, you are essentially inverting your chords, where something like (C E G) became (E C G). I moved the bass down, because if I moved Pulse 2 up instead, it would end up clashing with Pulse 1's notes, which would create a different issue.

- Try to use lower volume levels on your pulse 1/2/noise, because Triangle can't (easily) change volume! Because this song is using the standard 4 channels in the 2A03 sound chip without using DPCM, try to aim for volume levels around 9 or A. Please note that I'm referring to the green blocks under the channel name as the song is playing, because that is the Output volume, which is the instrument/song data volume combined!

- In addition to the previous note, try to make your melody on pulse 1 more dominant in volume than your harmony/countermelodies on pulse 2. You don't have to avoid the higher volumes past A, but try to get a feel for when you should use them!

- Try to add some closed and open hihats in-between your kick/snares to make your percussion sound more interesting in-between: the small stuff can do a lot!

- For your longer notes, try using 4xy vibrato! It helps keep a long note sound more interesting and ultimately avoids preventing the listener from getting tired of the note. (Please note that the higher of a pitch/note you play, the lower you should make your vibrato depth. Also, don't forget to disable it with 400 when you play your next note!)

- Realize that, because your song is at Speed F04, your "S04" and "G04" commands will not actually work until the next row. This means the note will end up holding until the next one in a case like this: Image

Anyway, I hope this helps! I've attached my edited version in case you want to study some of the things I mentioned.

Thanks, this is super helpful. I'd just like to ask, what is note release? I've seen it but I don't actually know what it does. It seems like it functions similar to the - command and Sxx command but I don't know specifically what it does.

Potentialing

Postby Potentialing » Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:08 am

Chieftanaxe wrote:Thanks, this is super helpful. I'd just like to ask, what is note release? I've seen it but I don't actually know what it does. It seems like it functions similar to the - command and Sxx command but I don't know specifically what it does.

Note Release is triggered with an = in the pattern data, which I used several times throughout the song on the pulse channels in that FTM.

If you go to the instrument editor window for an instrument and then right-click under an envelope, you can set a release trigger for the instrument. For example, if I have a volume envelope such as: Image

The instrument will play at F volume, and then switch to 4 volume whenever it hits a = release trigger. However, before outputting the volume, the F (or 4) instrument volume multiplies off the Song Data Volume for the channel. This is useful for applying echo, which I recommend using instead of cutting off notes entirely.

I've attached a sample FTM. Hopefully it explains it better than my more-than-likely confusing wording.
Attachments
release_example.ftm
(1.16 KiB) Downloaded 34 times

Chieftanaxe

Postby Chieftanaxe » Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:34 am

Ok, I took a look and I think I understand. So what if I have an instrument with a more developed volume envelope (like 15 15 14 14 13 12 10 (with a vrc6 instrument if that's important)) and I want 4 to be the release volume. How would I write that in the envelope?

Potentialing

Postby Potentialing » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:47 am

Chieftanaxe wrote:Ok, I took a look and I think I understand. So what if I have an instrument with a more developed volume envelope (like 15 15 14 14 13 12 10 (with a vrc6 instrument if that's important)) and I want 4 to be the release volume. How would I write that in the envelope?

You'd do: Image

15 15 14 14 13 12 / 10 4

Unless you meant something like a fade-out instrument with multiplied volume, then you'd just make the fade out in the instrument and multiply the volume through the song data.

EDIT: Actually, I made a huge derp yesterday: I think raising the Triangle Channel actually works here, and I wasn't listening to the octaves carefully. I've attached a quick edit demonstrating the change.
Attachments
airman_edit2.ftm
(98.91 KiB) Downloaded 80 times

Dwedit

Postby Dwedit » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:35 pm

What's that C0 doing in there?

Potentialing

Postby Potentialing » Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:56 pm

Dwedit wrote:What's that C0 doing in there?

That's the end of my edit, because everything after that isn't actually polished.

Livoh773

Postby Livoh773 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:11 am

Good discussion, thanks for the release explanation, got it!

Return to “Cover Music”