Kirby: Nightmare in Dreamland OST - [VRC6]

Post your cover music here and receive feedback.
Forum rules
This area is dedicated to covers of existing songs. When posting a song, please include information about the original song.
wispybowl

Kirby: Nightmare in Dreamland OST - [VRC6]

Postby wispybowl » Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:22 am

Nightmare in Dreamland is one of my all time favorite games. I played the shit out of it when I was a kid. Always loved the music too, so I thought,"I've got time... Why don't I cover the whole soundtrack?? WHAT A GREAT IDEA!!!"

So here it is!! This is BY FAR the largest project I've done in Famitracker. It took me a little over two weeks. Pretty much every song is included except for songs that were only a couple notes long. I tried to be as accurate as possible most of the time, except for the Dedede battle since I had previously covered that.

Anyhoooo.... Please enjoy!!

and as always, criticism is welcome
Attachments
Kirby Nightmare In Dreamland OST.ftm
(820.03 KiB) Downloaded 547 times
I have no signature.

ollaxe

Re: Kirby: Nightmare in Dreamland OST - [VRC6]

Postby ollaxe » Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:07 am

Even though instrumentation isn't really super-accurate to the original sometimes, and there are some small parts here and there that are different from the original, this is still a great cover of a great soundtrack! I really like it!

Even though I never really played Nightmare in Dreamland for real (I have emulated it a little), I have played both Kirby's Adventure for the NES and Kirby Squeak Squad/Kirby Mouse Attack for the DS. So I kinda know what the game is like anyway. :P
Hi! I'm not really active here anymore but I still make music. Nowadays I mostly make dubstep with emphasis on good melodies and chord progressions.
SoundCloud: soundcloud.com/ollaxe
Twitter: twitter.com/ollaxe
Discord server: dis.gd/tK7uRnc
I'm also on Spotify. Search "OllAxe" and you'll find me.

jaxcheese

Postby jaxcheese » Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:36 pm

Haven't played Nightmare in Dreamland, but I do recognize quite a few of the tunes, and these are some excellent arrangements.
Fan of:
Cave Story, Mega Man X, MOTHER 3, Star Fox 64, Super Metroid, Shining Force.
Classic SEGA, Treasure, Square, Falcom.
Various roguelike RPGs and shmups/bullet hells.
jaxcheese.bandcamp.com

Overlord99

Postby Overlord99 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:12 pm

This is beautiful and I love you.

Potentialing

Postby Potentialing » Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:54 am

Wow, I'm really impressed you managed to cover the entire soundtrack! I love the drum patterns and a lot of the notation sounds accurate, although there were a couple of (rather nitpicky) things I noticed which I thought I should mention:

- I feel like some of the liberties you took like the detuned lead tricks ended up sounding more synthy than what I feel the original tracks originally tried to convey. For instance, Track #3 Map, the original sounded more like a marimba/xylophone with a very brief decay on it

- A lot of your notes seem to be just a tad longer than the original as well. I feel like the very short staccato in the original is part of what made it the bubbly soundtrack it is

- In some songs (like track #1, track #6, and track #8) I noticed you didn't include some of the sforzando attack-fade-in effects from the original. I think those added to the charm of the original!

- Main Menu's harmony sounds inverted, and I also suspect the re-harmonization ended up changing some of the chords in the original.

- Track #10, frame 20.. I believe the C-4 notes at the end of frame 20 on VRC6 Pulse 2 should be playing a B-3

- Track #12, frame 1F, VRC6 Pulse 2: I'm a bit confused by the brief silence here, because I recall the original playing the arp on the downbeat too!

- Track #13: I think the melody might be a bit loud in this track. The melody and bass instrument choices for this song might also be too harsh in terms of timbre, so perhaps consider changing those?

- Track #15, Frame 01, VRC6 pulse 1: The second note I believe should be D#4. This applies to the echo on VRC6 pulse 2 as well.

- Track #16, Frame 05, 2A03 Pulse 2: The last note should be E-4. The ostinato repeats like this until Frame 0C, which I think the last note clashes with the higher F#4 on VRC6 Pulse 1... Perhaps due to pulse/articulation choices? Also check the 2A03 pulse notes at the start of Frame 10 and at the end of Frame 14

- Track #17: The run at the end of Frame 00 was originally a simple climb up the major scale. Can you also check the chord on Frame 0B, row 20? The fast notes on 2A03 Pulse 2 in the second half of the song also seem to be inverted, although I think it's fine this way too.

- Track #20: I think the first half of the song could really use a snare on every 2nd/4th beat per measure

- Track #24: Really like the way this sounds, with the echo and strings. I was hoping you would octave the strings for the last phrase of the first half, playing from Frame 17 to frame 19. Also at the end of the song, do you think you could change the last 8 pulse notes to play "G-3, D-3, B-2, D-3" twice? I think that would fit in the last chord better in this context.

- Track #25: Could you raise the volume of the pulses? I feel like the DPCM might be too loud here.

- Track #26: Great job with this! Wondering if you could detune some of the notes to prevent bad phasing, and also lower the very last note echo volume so it doesn't sound like another part of the arp?

- Track #27: Kind of a rough start there! I would advise considering removing some layers to make it sound less crowded.

- Track #28: Do you think you could change the instrument for the second half of the melody, starting at the end of Frame 0F? I feel like it sounds too similar to the first melody instrument. I also highly suggest re-tuning that last note on the melody, because it sticks out given how long it holds out for.

- Track #30, Frame 0B, VRC6 Pulse 1: I think those C-6 notes should be B-5. Very important chord here! (And it re-occurs at Frame 13 too). Check for sforzandos in the second and last sections of the song from the original!

- Track #34: Do you think you could add a grace note on the first note of the jingle? Also consider adding the sforzando on the 6th note

- Track #35: Can you try Gxx'ing that grace note on the last melody note? I feel like the grace is too long here

Also one last note: The composer of the NES Kirby's Adventure is Hirozaku Ando (Jun Ishikawa wasn't involved at all, I think? It looks like he was a part of NiDL, though.) , although "HAL Sound Team" could work too.

Again, these are all SUPER NITPICKY stuff: I really like these covers, and I think that, as it stands, the tracks sound great! In any case, I hope my feedback helps somewhat!

Shywolf

Postby Shywolf » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:42 am

Excellent work. I've only played Adventure, but still... excellent.

psn

Postby psn » Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:29 pm

Great game and a great cover of the soundtrack! You really did the soundtrack justice, especially Ice Cream Island (one of my favourite Kirby tunes ever).

wispybowl

Postby wispybowl » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:14 pm

Thanks a bunch everyone! I really worked hard on this and I appreciate all of your comments and criticisms.
I guess I should probably tell you guys how I did this so others can do the same.

I used GBA Mus Riper which rips all of the games music to midi files and poops out a soundfont which I then converted to a .dls file.
Then I imported each midi into fl studio as I was doing them and loaded the .dls so I could have the correct notes, instruments, and sounds. That's pretty much it.
I was actually going to cover the metroid fusion soundtrack but gbamusriper only works for games that use the sappy sound engine, so I chose kirby instead.
I have no signature.