Mario Kart 64: Koopa Troopa Beach [VRC6] [2A03]

Post your cover music here and receive feedback.
Forum rules
This area is dedicated to covers of existing songs. When posting a song, please include information about the original song.
SmartKid

Mario Kart 64: Koopa Troopa Beach [VRC6] [2A03]

Postby SmartKid » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:40 pm

Link to original song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXU9-w2Lqyk

This song has a lot of layers to it, and I couldn't include them all. I'd like to think I've somewhat captured the feel of the original, although I need some help with the instrumentation: the steel drum doesn't sound all that convincing, and I don't know how to make a bongo sound without using DPCM. (I don't use DPCM in any of my covers: that's just my style.) I'd really appreciate help with this one.

EDIT:
I've improved the VRC6 cover, with added bongos on the triangle channel and a better steel drum instrument.
I've also added my 2A03 demix of this cover, though it's still a WIP.

EDIT:
I've completed both covers, and uploaded them to YouTube.
(Link to Finished VRC6 Cover)
(Link to Finished 2A03 Cover)
Links to download the FTMs are in the descriptions of their respective videos. The links will always point to the latest versions of the covers, even if the FTMs attached to this post are out of date.
Attachments
MK64 - Koopa Course [VRC6].ftm
With bongos and a better steel drum.
(13.55 KiB) Downloaded 222 times
MK64 - Koopa Course [2A03].ftm
WIP
(14.67 KiB) Downloaded 155 times
Last edited by SmartKid on Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:54 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Like my covers? I have tons more on my YouTube channel.

Gors

Re: Mario Kart 64: Koopa Troopa Beach [VRC6]

Postby Gors » Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:12 pm

the cover sounds good! I think that you can achieve a more 'steel pan' sound with this Duty Cycle Macro: 0 1 1 1 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 1 1 1 1

as for the bongos, I'll study a way for that. I'd personally use DPCM but I understand your style

Dr. Merio

Postby Dr. Merio » Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:28 pm

I just wanted to say that I thoroughly enjoyed this cover. I spent quite a few minutes listening to it the other day. Well done!

As for steel drums, I myself use a technique which wouldn't work with this cover, because it needs two channels to be executed. I'll let you know how to do it anyway: make a 2A03 instrument with the following duty macro:

2 1 0

Let's say you want to play a G-3 note with this instrument. Place a G-3 on one of the channels, with a P81 effect. Then place a G-4 note on the other pulse channel, but without the Pxx effect. The way I have used this sounds very convincing imo, although you must be VERY careful with note clashings when using this, because if the channels clash, it won't sound like a steel drum at all! Play around with Pxx effects to avoid this.

If you want to see an example, check this song out: Massive 8-bit Candy
You'll see this technique being used in frame 0D.

btw I think your cover sounds pretty good as it is now, but I hope this helped you anyway!
My current avatar is why we need bigger avatars. >:C
Check out my YouTube channel!
[Dropbox (my FT stuff)]

ollaxe

Postby ollaxe » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:30 pm

This is a nice cover! Some notes here and there are different, but it's nothing big.

I was bored, so I experimented with this cover, Merio's trick (and even modified it a little) and multichip, and this is the result:
Attachments
Steeldrum experiment.ftm
(13.93 KiB) Downloaded 113 times
Hi! I'm not really active here anymore but I still make music. Nowadays I mostly make dubstep with emphasis on good melodies and chord progressions.
SoundCloud: soundcloud.com/ollaxe
Twitter: twitter.com/ollaxe
Discord server: dis.gd/tK7uRnc
I'm also on Spotify. Search "OllAxe" and you'll find me.

Dr. Merio

Postby Dr. Merio » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:35 pm

HOLY CRAP DUDE.

That actually sounds pretty good! I think it might be a little too loud, so how about trying to tweak the volume sequence a bit?
My current avatar is why we need bigger avatars. >:C
Check out my YouTube channel!
[Dropbox (my FT stuff)]

ollaxe

Postby ollaxe » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:40 pm

Dr. Merio wrote:HOLY CRAP DUDE.

That actually sounds pretty good! I think it might be a little too loud, so how about trying to tweak the volume sequence a bit?
Haha, thanks! :D

I'll fix the volume in a few minutes, but first I'm going to edit in some bongos into the original, not multi-chip version.

Edit: Here's the bongo-version. They might not be the best, but I tried, at least. :)

Edit 2: Here's the new steeldrum experiment thingy. I lowered the volume of the steeldrum and added the bongos in here too. :D

By the way, I hope it's okay that I'm doing such heavy editing to your work, SmartKid... :D
Attachments
Steeldrum experiment.ftm
(14.23 KiB) Downloaded 92 times
MK64 - Koopa Course [VRC6] with bongos.ftm
(10.67 KiB) Downloaded 108 times
Hi! I'm not really active here anymore but I still make music. Nowadays I mostly make dubstep with emphasis on good melodies and chord progressions.

SmartKid

Postby SmartKid » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:11 pm

ollaxe wrote:...

By the way, I hope it's okay that I'm doing such heavy editing to your work, SmartKid... :D

As long as you don't mind me using your triangle bongos in my cover of Professor Layton's theme. ;)

ollaxe

Postby ollaxe » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:33 pm

SmartKid wrote:
ollaxe wrote:...

As long as you don't mind me using your triangle bongos in my cover of Professor Layton's theme. ;)
Of course I don't mind! Use them however much you want! :D

SmartKid

Postby SmartKid » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:38 pm

Speaking of my other covers, I have a lot of them on my YouTube channel (link if you're interested). Do you think it would be a good idea to repost them in this forum?

ollaxe

Postby ollaxe » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:13 am

SmartKid wrote:Speaking of my other covers, I have a lot of them on my YouTube channel (link if you're interested). Do you think it would be a good idea to repost them in this forum?
As long as you only post the stuff you're proud of, I think it would!