Sonic 2 - Mystic Cave Zone [2A03]

Post your cover music here and receive feedback.
Forum rules
This area is dedicated to covers of existing songs. When posting a song, please include information about the original song.
Threxx

Sonic 2 - Mystic Cave Zone [2A03]

Postby Threxx » Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:19 am

I felt like doing this.

In similar vein to my previous covers, this was made in 0CC-FT 0.3.11r1, so the NSF is attached. A Dropbox link is provided for the FTM (which requires the aformentioned fork).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/464tzagf7115z ... 3.ftm?dl=0
Attachments
mysticcave_2A03.nsf
(9.99 KiB) Downloaded 126 times

Dwedit

Re: Sonic 2 - Mystic Cave Zone [2A03]

Postby Dwedit » Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:08 am

This is where you can seriously see the lack of pitch effects when combined with arpeggios. Seems like only explicit fine tune commands would work here.

ollaxe

Postby ollaxe » Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:02 pm

This is pretty awesome. There are some small things wrong here and there, so I've tried to correct those I heard as best as I could in the edit attached below. I also think the volume is a bit unbalanced, but I'll let you fix that yourself. Otherwise, I'm really impressed with how great this sounds considering it's only 2A03. Great use of arps!

Also, if you for some reason would want the edited 0CC-FTM (hurr hurr se wut I did ther?), just PM me.
Attachments
mysticcave_2A03.nsf
(9.83 KiB) Downloaded 49 times
Hi! I'm not really active here anymore but I still make music. Nowadays I mostly make dubstep with emphasis on good melodies and chord progressions.
SoundCloud: soundcloud.com/ollaxe
Twitter: twitter.com/ollaxe
Discord server: dis.gd/tK7uRnc
I'm also on Spotify. Search "OllAxe" and you'll find me.

Threxx

Postby Threxx » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:42 pm

Dwedit wrote:This is where you can seriously see the lack of pitch effects when combined with arpeggios. Seems like only explicit fine tune commands would work here.

I'm not sure if this post is a critique.

ollaxe wrote:This is pretty awesome. There are some small things wrong here and there, so I've tried to correct those I heard as best as I could in the edit attached below. I also think the volume is a bit unbalanced, but I'll let you fix that yourself. Otherwise, I'm really impressed with how great this sounds considering it's only 2A03. Great use of arps!

Also, if you for some reason would want the edited 0CC-FTM (hurr hurr se wut I did ther?), just PM me.

I was aware of the percussion being off, but that can be attributed to my own laziness for not correcting.

As for the trill, that is the fault of me not cross-referencing the reference midi with the original song. I think the accidental changes I made sound better regardless, so let's call it artistic licence.

ollaxe

Postby ollaxe » Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:02 pm

Threxx wrote:
ollaxe wrote:This is pretty awesome. There are some small things wrong here and there, so I've tried to correct those I heard as best as I could in the edit attached below. I also think the volume is a bit unbalanced, but I'll let you fix that yourself. Otherwise, I'm really impressed with how great this sounds considering it's only 2A03. Great use of arps!

I was aware of the percussion being off, but that can be attributed to my own laziness for not correcting.

As for the trill, that is the fault of me not cross-referencing the reference midi with the original song. I think the accidental changes I made sound better regardless, so let's call it artistic licence.

Look, if you don't want people editing your stuff, you can just say it in the OP. That way I don't have to waste my time trying to help someone who doesn't care about my help anyway. Thank you!
Hi! I'm not really active here anymore but I still make music. Nowadays I mostly make dubstep with emphasis on good melodies and chord progressions.

Threxx

Postby Threxx » Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:05 pm

ollaxe wrote:Look, if you don't want people editing your stuff, you can just say it in the OP. That way I don't have to waste my time trying to help someone who doesn't care about my help anyway. Thank you!

Last time I checked, this board was open to critique, not people editing other peoples' modules on a whim without permission. I happen to not care regardless, as I do not have to accept anyone's edits, but I know people who are much more concerned about those things. On your part, you should stop expecting people to accept your edits without question, as they may undermine the objective of their work or detract from their sound design decisions, or they simply may not like them for some reason. If you are so upset by me turning back your edits, then you can save both of us time by never replying to any of my threads in these music boards in the future.

Perhaps you should think about asking first before you edit people's modules in the future.

ollaxe

Postby ollaxe » Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:12 pm

Threxx wrote:Last time I checked, this board was open to critique, not people editing other peoples' modules on a whim without permission. I happen to not care regardless, as I do not have to accept anyone's edits, but I know people who are much more concerned about those things. On your part, you should stop expecting people to accept your edits without question, as they may undermine the objective of their work or detract from their sound design decisions, or they simply may not like them for some reason. If you are so upset by me turning back your edits, then you can save both of us time by never replying to any of my threads in these music boards in the future.

Perhaps you should think about asking first before you edit people's modules in the future.

I'm not upset by you not accepting my edits. It's just that I feel that you're not open to critique, which I so happen to leave in edits a lot of times. Now, I don't ask you to use all my edits as yours, but it would be nice to see you improve your work from the critique or edits that I made. Or if you really, really don't want to do that, or if you think my edits/suggestions suck, then deflecting them in a more polite way would be really nice too.

I do feel that it might have been wrong of me to edit your work without asking for permission, so I'm sorry if I upset you by doing that, and I'll make sure to ask in beforehand the next time I "feel the need".

Anyway, I hope we can put this behind us and just continue on as usual.

Have a good day!

Also, did I say this cover was good? Like, really good?

Threxx

Postby Threxx » Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:28 pm

ollaxe wrote:I'm not upset by you not accepting my edits. It's just that I feel that you're not open to critique, which I so happen to leave in edits a lot of times. Now, I don't ask you to use all my edits as yours, but it would be nice to see you improve your work from the critique or edits that I made. Or if you really, really don't want to do that, or if you think my edits/suggestions suck, then deflecting them in a more polite way would be really nice too.

I do feel that it might have been wrong of me to edit your work without asking for permission, so I'm sorry if I upset you by doing that, and I'll make sure to ask in beforehand the next time I "feel the need".

Anyway, I hope we can put this behind us and just continue on as usual.

Have a good day!

Also, did I say this cover was good? Like, really good?

Not wanting other people's styles imposed on your work != not being open to critique.

ollaxe

Postby ollaxe » Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:21 am

Fixes to note placement != Edits to style

Okay, look, I don't wanna fight with you anymore. Let's just stop now before this thread gets locked. I'll stop posting my feedback to your music, because this is what happens, and I don't want this.

Cya in the other forums, I guess!

A-KouZ1

Postby A-KouZ1 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:53 am

Wao~ :mrgreen:
(No comment)
PokemonStars Forum Profile - A-KouZ1's Shoutbox - My Blog

Intermediate for Programming, and Chiptuning with Famitracker

Return to “Cover Music”