LFT - Gravazoid [VRC6]

Post your cover music here and receive feedback.
Forum rules
This area is dedicated to covers of existing songs. When posting a song, please include information about the original song.
Lord Nightmare

LFT - Gravazoid [VRC6]

Postby Lord Nightmare » Tue May 12, 2015 6:42 am

This is a cover (from 2014) of Linus 'lft' Åkesson's theme from his (and llbit's) game Gravazoid, done with 2a03+VRC6.
Channel 1 is present but muted (since originally I tried to do the cover with 2a03 only) but there was no way I could make channel 1 sound correct that way. The original song's channel 1 has an 87.25% duty cycle, which only VRC6 (or N163) can do.

This song suffers a bit because the way Famitracker does note sweeps (log vs linear) is the opposite of the way the note sweeps work in lft's original player code, so it required a bit of improvisation to make it sound vaguely correct.
I'm using the original DMC samples from the Gravazoid source code, although Gravazoid itself allows halving the volume of its DMC channel in its own player, which the NES cannot do, so I had to improvise a bit to make the 'half volume' DMC samples using Rushjet1's DMC tool.

Gravazoid (the game) is free and can be downloaded from http://www.linusakesson.net/games/gravazoid/index.php or from http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=61300

LN
Attachments
Gravazoid-vrc6.ftm
(21.17 KiB) Downloaded 90 times

jsr
Site Admin

Re: LFT - Gravazoid [VRC6]

Postby jsr » Tue May 12, 2015 10:40 pm

Nice work, sounds very similar. So the original music used delta modulated samples? I guess it'd be possible to make a small native player for the original music data without too much effort.

Lord Nightmare wrote:This song suffers a bit because the way Famitracker does note sweeps (log vs linear) is the opposite of the way the note sweeps work in lft's original player code, so it required a bit of improvisation to make it sound vaguely correct.

This is something that I've planned to add for a while.
Famitracker developer