Collaborative Videogame OST Cover Project (VOTE for the person who will be in charge!)

General discussion about tracking, help and support.

Who should be in charge of the Collaborative Videogame OST Cover Project?

Poll ended at Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:36 pm

recme
69%
Scooblee
23%
Amilgi
8%

Total votes: 13

jrlepage
Forum Staff

Collaborative Videogame OST Cover Project (VOTE for the person who will be in charge!)

Postby jrlepage » Fri May 29, 2015 1:18 pm

EDIT: Now is the time to vote on who will be in charge of the project. You have 7 days as of June 4, 2015 to cast your vote! Once that is done, The next step will be to vote on the soundtrack to cover.

After getting so many responses along the lines of "I can't write originals so I'll pass" in my competition thread, I began pondering about ways to give everyone in the community a chance to be involved in large-scale projects, not just those who are seasoned composers.

So the thought of starting a mass videogame OST cover project crossed my mind. I probably wouldn't have time to coordinate the whole thing myself, given that I have other engagements right now (plus personal life and all that), but I certainly would like to know if there is enough interest within the community to kickstart something like this.

My idea is basically this:

1. Brainstorm: Everyone gets to submit one soundtrack they'd like the community to cover. Briefly explain your choice and why other people whould be interested in covering your soundtrack too!
  2. Vote: After a set period of time, the brainstorming period ends, and a poll is created to select one of the soundtracks submitted by the community. Some time later, whichever soundtrack gets the most votes is selected.
  3. Instrument pack: (Optional) This would be useful as far as making the assembly of the final project easier, but might not be completely necessary. To avoid going over the instrument limit in Famitracker, perhaps it might be a good idea to share instruments and DPCM samples with the rest of the community. This doesn't have to be a step per se, and could be done throughout the entire length of the project. Another way to alleviate the instrument limit problem might be to put a restriction to the amount of instruments used in each track, but that might be too much of a restrain on creativity.
  4. Dividing the task: Once the soundtrack is selected, each track from the OST is listed, and each member picks one (and only one) track they'd like to cover. First come, first serve. Once a member is finished covering their track, they attach it to the thread. Once a track is reserved, its name in the OP should reflect that. Perhaps a time limit to submit your cover would be appropriate, to avoid the possibility of someone calling dibs on a track and then turning into a sausage or something you never know it could happen...
  5. Quality control: Whoever is in charge of the project should be well-versed enough both musically and in terms of Famitracker fluency to judge whether the quality of a submission is acceptable, or whether it should be worked on further before being accepted. Once a track is cleared to be added to the soundtrack, the member who submitted it gets to pick another track and cover that one (see step 3.). I guess the rest of the people involved in the project should have a say in this too. Again, completed tracks should have their name in the OP reflect that status.
  6. Putting everything together: The person in charge of the project will be responsible for assembling all the tracks into one FTM. If that is impossible, then the project should be released as an archive of FTM files.
  7. Most importantly: Have fun the whole time!
Let me know what you think about the idea. If you have thoughts on changes that would improve this formula, or questions about things that aren't very clear (or things I didn't cover in my post), feel free to speak your mind about them. I'm interested to see what everyone thinks about this! Also, if you think you are qualified to run the project should we ever manage to get this thing going, feel free to say so, and I guess we can run some sort of election to decide who should be given this responsibility when the time comes.

EDIT: Apparently this is my 100th post. I like that my first major milestone is an insightful post and not some inane response to a silly comment someone made~
Follow me on Twitter.

MovieMovies1

Re: Idea: Collaborative Videogame OST Cover Project

Postby MovieMovies1 » Fri May 29, 2015 1:53 pm

So, kinda like this, only more organized, and tracks evenly spread across people instead of me doing almost everything?

Sounds like a good idea to me!
[INSERT SIGNATURE HERE]

jrlepage
Forum Staff

Postby jrlepage » Fri May 29, 2015 1:59 pm

Pretty much! I want this to be a community project, with some form of official organisation of things.
Follow me on Twitter.

8BitZtunerYT

Postby 8BitZtunerYT » Fri May 29, 2015 2:21 pm

That's a good idea, maybe I will participate in this.

I like this, I like this a lot
slowly ceasing to exist.
"8BitZ caresses his keyboard as he orgasms to the sounds of Winamp."
-retrodpc, 2015

James_S

Postby James_S » Fri May 29, 2015 3:10 pm

Ooh, I like this idea.
I vote that the first game is not a NES/Fami game to make people be creative with instruments and stuff.
F-Zero has an awesome OST, but is overdone and has little tracks,
SMW is pretty much just variations of 1 or 2 tracks,
now that i think of it, I don't know alot about the SNES.

How about modern OSTs like either of the Mighty Switch Forces, Super Meat Boy, (~40 tracks + fun) or "OP Deus Ex Machina Cave Story"?
AKA FamicomForever
click for BEPIS!!!!

Glitch_King

Postby Glitch_King » Fri May 29, 2015 5:32 pm

Why not either a Street Fighter collab or a Symphony of the Night collab

Shywolf

Postby Shywolf » Fri May 29, 2015 5:57 pm

Glitch_King wrote:Why not either a Street Fighter collab or a Symphony of the Night collab

Pick one and submit it, I suppose. I like how this project wouldn't be limited to an OST picked solely by the project organizer, but rather allows the community to pick from a pool established by the community.

Which is to say, I'm interested. This should be a thing.

jaxcheese

Postby jaxcheese » Fri May 29, 2015 7:18 pm

I'd say MOTHER 2/3 or Thunder Force IV; both have lots of great tracks and unique styles.
Chrono Trigger would be cool but I'm working on my own 2a03 conversion right now so I wouldn't contribute to that.
Interested in contributing no matter what game is picked, though, for the most part.
Fan of:
Cave Story, Mega Man X, MOTHER 3, Star Fox 64, Super Metroid, Shining Force.
Classic SEGA, Treasure, Square, Falcom.
Various roguelike RPGs and shmups/bullet hells.
jaxcheese.bandcamp.com

MiniMacro

Postby MiniMacro » Fri May 29, 2015 8:18 pm

I'd be awesome with Journey to Silius.
wow this is total BS
mmsound.bandcamp.com
you can see my beautiful music there~

ImATrackMan

Postby ImATrackMan » Fri May 29, 2015 8:21 pm

Hebereke! redone using the 5B.

Alternatively, we can do what I suggested a long while ago. Covering the AY soundtrack of the ZX Spectrum port of Fire & Ice/Solomon's Key 2 with the FDS.
Slowly working on a thing called "FaMIGA".
I do all hardware recordings including Sunsoft5B, FDS, and MULTICHIP !
>quscx uvngw bebxm xqdyl<

Return to “General Talk”