Why are non-official modules not allowed to be posted?

Post about site issues and suggestions here.
Threxx

Why are non-official modules not allowed to be posted?

Postby Threxx » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:40 pm

Stratelier
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Why are non-official modules not allowed to be posted?

Postby Stratelier » Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:32 am

jrlepage
Forum Staff

Postby jrlepage » Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:11 am

Quoting those old forum rules is moot because this is a new forum, those are old rules and they need some updates.

With that out of the way, I would like to state that, while this is only my opinion, I think posting modules created using a fork of the main program (especially if those modules can't be opened and played normally using the official build) is a bad idea, if only because relatively few people on the forums will have the necessary build to open and play the module properly (nor can they be expected to have it). Posting an NSF created from said build is already more sensible as far as sharing your tunes with other members goes.

The other reason why I think it's bad practice is because it goes against the spirit of this forum, which is to provide support and establish a community around FamiTracker – NOT its potentially unlimited amount of forks. I think the least we incorporate unofficial builds into the forums, the better.

I'd like to point out that threads regarding, say, a Linux port of the program are okay because they aim to be compatible with the original FamiTracker (i.e. modules created with one version will open just fine with the other one, and vice versa). Forks with added (and unsupported) features are a different matter.

Beta modules are another issue entirely. I think those are fine because beta versions don't tend to stick around for very long before the final version is released (generally 2-3 weeks), and the beta version modules will be forward-compatible with the final version once it is released anyway.
Follow me on .

Threxx

Postby Threxx » Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:15 am

jrlepage
Forum Staff

Postby jrlepage » Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:19 am

I think that can easily be left as a courtesy thing rather than being made into a rule. Betas happen too infrequently and last too short a time to warrant creating a rule specifically for tagging them. It would be a pain to enforce, too. Besides, most people here are aware when a beta is out, and can easily deduce that if a module doesn't open in the latest stable build and there's no mention of a specific fork anywhere, it's probably meant for the beta.

All in all, I don't think it's worth the trouble (as opposed to modules designed for forks since those will permanently be incompatible with the official version of the program).
Follow me on .

HertzDevil

Postby HertzDevil » Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:25 am

refactoring

Warheart

Postby Warheart » Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:01 am

I don't understand why this software is considered as open source? It probably uses GPL code, but I still don't understand...
Last edited by Warheart on Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ponies, Mega Man, Meshuggah, Rotten Sound and ice-cream! <3

retrodpc

Postby retrodpc » Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:13 am

I second Threxx's suggestion for labelling.
Don't copypasta Quotes

Threxx

Postby Threxx » Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:04 pm

Xyz
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Xyz » Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:17 pm

You seem to be having a lot of trouble around the concept of "official"
>:( Fuck you hentai boy i hate you squid anus

Return to “Site Issues & Suggestions”