Play button not working, instruments not playing at all

Please post about bugs here.
Forum rules
When making a bug report, please try to be as specific as possible. Include information on how to reproduce the bug and an example file if possible.
If the application crashed, please include the generated memory dump file as well.
WishMakers

Play button not working, instruments not playing at all

Postby WishMakers » Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:57 am

Found a forum post from the old forum on Google that had the same problem but had no solution.

A few days ago, I was able to play back songs on FamiTracker. Now I can not, and I have not installed anything (aside from reinstalling FamiTracker's registry files by uninstalling the program and restarting it) within the time the problem started occurring and now.
I have had this issue for a few days now, and I am not sure how to solve it.
I have tried several versions of FamiTracker, including the most recent stable version (0.4.6) and beta 5, to no avail.
To clarify, the play button does not work, and neither does any of the shortcuts to the play/stop or play buttons.
Neither do instruments when created play back a note in edit mode when creating patterns.

I am not sure if it is a problem with my sound drivers or what, but I just want to get back to tracking, so I need help, please.
Running Windows 8.1 with my sound devices being Realtek Speakers and Virtual Audio Cable, if it helps.

EDIT 10/24/16 9:03 EST: After some experimentation, exporting a WAV does not work either. Definitely seems to be linked to the sound output problem. Does not load any frames to create a WAV and creates a 0-byte file.

ollaxe

Re: Play button not working, instruments not playing at all

Postby ollaxe » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:47 pm

Ah, I've had this problem too, but only temporairly. For me it occurs when famitracker is unable communicate with the sound card. Try these things:

1. Restart the computer
2. Change the audio output device in famitracker (File > Configuration > Sound). If you don't have multiple audio devices, try plugging the computer into an HDMI TV/monitor with speakers and change to it.
3. Try restarting famitracker in between changing the audio device.
4. Play around with the other sound settings in famitracker.
5. Sometimes certain programs can break other program's ability to communicate with the sound card. If you have any ASIO drivers running, try shutting them down in the task manager.
6. If that doesn't work, try the same for the realtek software if you have it installed.
7. If you don't have any realtek drivers installed, download and install the correct driver for your soundcard.
8. Try closing other any other program in the task manager that could be interfering with famitracker.

(Sorry for the bump btw)
Here's my YouTube channel, my SoundCloud page and my Twitter account.

WishMakers

Postby WishMakers » Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:49 pm

I fixed this issue quite a bit ago. Windows wasn't telling me that my audio drivers needed updating, so I had to update them myself. But thank you for the advice, I'm sure this will help others.

ollaxe

Postby ollaxe » Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:11 am

Ok great! :)
Here's my YouTube channel, my SoundCloud page and my Twitter account.

Return to “Bug Reports”