Small imaginary cat game ost [beta]

Post your original music here and receive feedback.
Forum rules
This area is dedicated for original music, please do not post covers here.
MMsensei1

Small imaginary cat game ost [beta]

Postby MMsensei1 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:01 pm

Hey!
I've started to make some music with famitracker, so I decided to post it here. This is a small ost for an imaginary game about cats.
It has music for title screen/level select, 3 different levels/areas and one battle theme.
Please tell me what you think about it!
Attachments
Cat game ost.ftm
(24.16 KiB) Downloaded 111 times

arethere

Re: Small imaginary cat game ost

Postby arethere » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:22 pm

welcome to the forum :)

I like the composition, the melodies are very nice... well everything is! everything works well together
simple but effective which brings me to my next point

the instrumentation is relatively simple (it goes without saying that it's obviously more than very good for a first forum post)
it kind of fits your songs in a way but i still think it's worth mentioning.
for example:
- you use a lot of note cuts instead of volume effects (like Axy) causing notes to end very abruptly (which is really not that bad because you make it work very well but it's good to be aware of all the possibilities)
- you use the same instrument for all the percussion in all songs excluding Fish Waters. creating separate instruments for Kick drum, Snare and Hats will give you a more diverse sound. you can even use the triangle to add to the percussion with pitch bends or use the DCPM channel

maybe you were aware of these things but you decided a simple approach would work better
I could totally see that being the case

I'm just nitpicking, I just really want to help :p
again, this is really great and I'm looking forward to hear more from you

FloppyDisk

Re: Small imaginary cat game ost [beta]

Postby FloppyDisk » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:09 am

This is really good for a first composition, simple yet effective. I like it!
I agree with arethere, you should use multiple instruments for noise percussion to give the notes more impact.
Also that battle theme is great, and welcome to the forums!
Don't copy that floppy!

I have a Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbvooz ... NbuSAKbn5w
There's pretty much nothing there, but y'know, just in case.

ChadBro2206

Postby ChadBro2206 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:34 am

Holy crap, this is so cool. It paints a picture of something like Chip N Dale Rescue Rangers for NES, or a gameboy Mario Land game where you are shrunk, jumpin on chairs and toys, etc. It may be simple, but I think that's a great thing. I think this works beautifully. Very well done, I say. Catchy as hell, and reminds me of my good ol' Gameboy days :D Thanks for letting us enjoy!
And it came to pass...

MMsensei1

Postby MMsensei1 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:24 pm

Thanks very much!
I haven't tried to make other percussion than simple noise, and I don't know how DCPM works, but I'll try making seperate instruments too in the future.
Even though I have been playing around with famitracker I don't really know too much about it's features, but I'll learn ^^'

Joblez_I

Postby Joblez_I » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:56 pm

Mostly out of Boredom, I decided to do a cover of "Boss Battle." I hope you like it, I wasn't really able to mix the audio well but I did the best I could. (It's only an NSF because I did it in 0cc and I wasn't able to import it into an FTM)

Cat Cover.nsf
(44.13 KiB) Downloaded 62 times
I like the chips and the tunes
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsJ-If ... N1KknMZTpA (I rarely upload to youtube btw, I'd really recommend listening to my soundcloud if you want my stuff)

Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/joblez_i