0xx bug

Please post about bugs here.
Forum rules
When making a bug report, please try to be as specific as possible. Include information on how to reproduce the bug and an example file if possible.
If the application crashed, please include the generated memory dump file as well.
davidlikescheese1000

0xx bug

Postby davidlikescheese1000 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:56 am

This is pretty much self explanatory that I don't need to send a test file

When a note is played with 0xx activated, it is played in a arpeggio style of the 2 half-step chords of 0xx

But when a pitch slide occurs, either 1xx, 2xx, or 3xx, it cancels out 0xx, and whatever note it's actually on during 0xx, plays that note, making you forced to use Pxx which is time consuming depending on the slides you're doing...

Teuthida

Re: 0xx bug

Postby Teuthida » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:59 am

This isn't a bug; it's just how FamiTracker works. Pxx pretty much is the only way, sadly. You could make an instrument with a combined arpeggio and pitch macro, which would have a similar effect(using 0CC-FamiTracker's arp schemes will help you a lot of you go this route).
A squid with a higher post count than the NES can handle.

I'm on YouTube! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCX87jJAJ3LPezjkWIk2TWEg

Stratelier

Postby Stratelier » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:51 pm

Yeah, some effects are mutually exclusive and it is not well-documented which ones.

There is NO easy way to pitchbend an arpeggio mainly because an arpeggio is measured in semitones while pitch is measured in frequency (aka the raw values given to the 2A03 sound chip, which are on a non-logarithmic scale i.e. pitchbends are slower on low octaves than high).

I've tried to pitchbend an arpeggio, too, and although the end result was acceptable, calculating it was a nightmare (I insisted on the pitchbend being 'smooth' i.e. constant rate of semitones-per-second, which made it all the tougher).

HertzDevil

Postby HertzDevil » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:55 am

There is a way to pitch bend arpeggios "properly", except the vanilla build cannot, and you must place the arp into the instrument itself as a sequence, reducing flexibility (no arp schemes for example). Hi-pitch sequences are measured in quarter tones while the linear pitch mode is enabled; for example, a major chord may become become { 0 | 0 8 0 6 0 -14 }, and the 1 / 2 / Q / R effects will work seamlessly. (3xx will still break because it stops as soon as the target pitch is reached by any of the arp notes.)

It is actually also possible to use something like relative { 0 | 0 12 0 -12 0 12 0 -11 } to do a glissando with a single instrument, which is even more limiting but still sometimes useful.
Constructing Chiptune; Construing 8-Bit. Makes 0CC-FamiTracker and MEGA ZUN.

Join my forum for 0CC-FamiTracker discussion and more

Return to “Bug Reports”