Post-Windows Creators Update crashes

Please post about bugs here.
Forum rules
When making a bug report, please try to be as specific as possible. Include information on how to reproduce the bug and an example file if possible.
If the application crashed, please include the generated memory dump file as well.
Dermot

Post-Windows Creators Update crashes

Postby Dermot » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:03 pm

Since my Windows 10 updated to the Windows Creators Update recently, FamiTracker 0.4.6 now likes to crash regularly. It crashes automatically either when I load a module from file, or when I start playing the module and it gets past the first frame. I've enclosed one of the modules and dump files associated with these crashes. The module is something completed I made myself quite some time ago - I was just loading it for playback.

I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop running Windows 10 Home (64-bit).
My processor is AMD A6-6310 APU with AMD Radeon R4 Graphics running at 1.80 GHz.
I have 8.00 GB of RAM (6.97 GB usable).

Interestingly - and I know this is not an official build, but it's worth mentioning - 0CC-FamITracker 0.3.14.5 has not been crashing at all, let alone under any of the same circumstances as FamiTracker 0.4.6.

It's also worth adding that, for at least a year or so now, virtually all 32-bit apps (including FamiTracker and 0CC-FT) automatically crash on execution unless I "run as administrator", and this was true even before the Windows Creators Update. 64-bit apps are unaffected, so it's forced me to upgrade as many apps as possible from 32-bit to 64-bit versions. (Maybe it's time for FamiTracker to start releasing 64-bit builds anyway?) It was a problem that persisted even after reinstalling Windows 10. But I've run deep virus/malware scans, system file integrity scans, a motherboard health scan, every scan I can think of - nothing comes up. And even our professional local laptop tech can't figure out what - if anything - is wrong. For the time being, I'm operating under the tentative theory that it's something wrong with Windows 10 itself, since it's reportedly been crash-prone for a lot of people under murky circumstances.

(EDIT) I can confirm that another unofficial build, NSF Importer, launches and displays its GUI window and then immediately crashes with a similar-looking error message. I thought that worth noting, at least.
Attachments
recover15.ftm
(14.26 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
MiniDump_20171006-0644-v0_4_6.dmp
(49.37 KiB) Downloaded 10 times

HertzDevil

Re: Post-Windows Creators Update crashes

Postby HertzDevil » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:32 pm

The crash is due to MacType not FamiTracker. The crash dump shows no code associated with FamiTracker.
Constructing Chiptune; Construing 8-Bit. Makes 0CC-FamiTracker and MEGA ZUN.

Join my forum for 0CC-FamiTracker discussion and more

Dermot

Postby Dermot » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:51 pm

HertzDevil: Thank you so much. I'll exempt FamiTracker from MacType and see if it fixes things.

Dermot

Postby Dermot » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:08 pm

I uninstalled MacType. It fixed that problem, and unexpectedly a lot of other problems too. I am doomed to have ugly font-smoothing forever. ;_; But FamiTracker works now! :D

Return to “Bug Reports”