[VOTE] BRAINSTORMING - Collaborative Videogame OST Cover Project

General discussion about tracking, help and support.

Which game OST do you want to cover?

Poll ended at Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:02 am

Mother 3
4%
Langrisser II
4%
Thunder Force IV
17%
Kirby's Return to Dreamland
6%
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time/Majora's Mask
6%
Super Mario 3D World/Galaxy
23%
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
8%
Final Fantasy 7
6%
Ys 1/2/3
13%
Sonic CD (JP/EU)
13%

Total votes: 48

recme

[VOTE] BRAINSTORMING - Collaborative Videogame OST Cover Project

Postby recme » Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:02 am

Here's the voting thread!

You may have noticed that not all suggestions made it in. That's because the forum only allows 10 options in a poll. I removed the options that were SNES/NES for multiple reasons. One of them is that audio dumping can be done, making the whole process of making the tracks very easy. Another reason is that the people of the forum are aware of the audio dumping, so it is likely that they won't pick those certain tracks, making the choices meaningless. The list was left with 8 tracks, so I just added 2 more OST's that were from the top of my head.

I also gave the option to pick 2 OST's since votes will most likely be scattered. I thought it would be difficult to choose between two, so I included it for those people who can't make up their minds!

Voting ends on June 27th @ 2:00 a.m. EST, so be sure to vote by then!

Have fun!

jaxcheese

Re: [VOTE] BRAINSTORMING - Collaborative Videogame OST Cover Project

Postby jaxcheese » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:15 pm

Just so you know, Genesis audio can be split into individual channels pretty easily too.

EDIT: Mother 3 data has been dumped publicly, as well. So, like all my nominations are unfit if that's one of the criteria.
Fan of:
Cave Story, Mega Man X, MOTHER 3, Star Fox 64, Super Metroid, Shining Force.
Classic SEGA, Treasure, Square, Falcom.
Various roguelike RPGs and shmups/bullet hells.
jaxcheese.bandcamp.com

James_S

Postby James_S » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:50 pm

as a side note, if 3d world/galaxy wins then will we cover galaxy or 3d? will we have to have another poll?
AKA FamicomForever
click for BEPIS!!!!

recme

Postby recme » Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:34 pm

i wasnt aware of genesis/gba music ripping. i would take down the options, but people wont get their votes back. like i said, if the community doesnt like the fact that music can be ripped, then they will obviously not pick that option.

as for the whole galaxy/3d world shenanigan, i can either hold another poll or pick 25 songs from each game. ill let you guys discuss that in this thread, if necessary.

James_S

Postby James_S » Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:02 am

recme wrote:i wasnt aware of genesis/gba music ripping. i would take down the options, but people wont get their votes back. like i said, if the community doesnt like the fact that music can be ripped, then they will obviously not pick that option.

as for the whole galaxy/3d world shenanigan, i can either hold another poll or pick 25 songs from each game. ill let you guys discuss that in this thread, if necessary.

to be honest i doubt anyone would spend time ripping data from those non nes games, and if they do then it would be pretty obvious.
lets just trust the community and assume that noone will rip.

i would also prefer it to be one or another when it comes to mario, galaxy has a distinct orchestra sound and 3d has a jazzy one.
AKA FamicomForever
click for BEPIS!!!!

TechEmporium

Postby TechEmporium » Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:56 am

You'd be surprised, man. Have a look at HCS' forum & you'll see what music people have ripped. Plenty of games from systems made after the year 2000 have been ripped, but good luck trying to find those rips covered into any chiptune format (& even then, many people in the scene have done that too).

The thing is this project will pretty much be ours; nobody in the scene has likely ever done a cover of a more recent game in NES chiptune format (the only other guy I can think of to do just that is tssf & his covers of Megaman 9 & 10). It'll definitely be something the FamiTracker community's doing & definitely something unique, no matter if the source music for a modern game has already been ripped.
Technology: the one thing that's hated & cursed at by all engineers, technologists, scientists & technicians!
(Lousy modern technology!)

http://techemporium.bananabo.xyz/

Dr. Merio

Postby Dr. Merio » Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:17 am

In my opinion, you shouldn't really discard a certain soundtrack if the channels can be split. It's an inane factor to judge the soundtracks by.

Like TechEmporium said, do something that is unlikely to have been done before. Modern soundtracks are a great thing to go for, especially because most, if not all "8-bit" covers you'll find out there are GXSCC stuff which is rarely worth listening.
My current avatar is why we need bigger avatars. >:C
Check out my YouTube channel!
[Dropbox (my FT stuff)]

TechEmporium

Postby TechEmporium » Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:33 am

Not only that, but even if a soundtrack has been ripped, why should that stop us from covering it? Considering that we can't simply cut & paste a music rip of any N64 game or XBox 360 game into FamiTracker, we'd still have to use our brains to transcribe what we analyse into FamiTracker.

In other words, systems like Sega CD/Saturn/Dreamcast, Playstation 1/2/3/4, N64, GameCube, Wii & XBox/360/One are designed in such a way that, even if you could rip the music out of their games, you'd have to be the viking god of plagiarism to be able to just copy & paste such complex music scores into FamiTracker (don't forget the tracker's limitations & how you can use them to your advantage, either).
Technology: the one thing that's hated & cursed at by all engineers, technologists, scientists & technicians!
(Lousy modern technology!)

http://techemporium.bananabo.xyz/

Wally

Postby Wally » Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:53 pm

I'm not sure I understand the whole audio dumping issue. Are we talking about simple channel muting to make transcription easier, or actual data conversion to the audio channels in FT? I mean, if it's the latter, wouldn't it be obvious if someone did that? Any sort of conversion method is going to sound terrible.

recme

Postby recme » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:29 am

FamicomForever wrote:
i would also prefer it to be one or another when it comes to mario, galaxy has a distinct orchestra sound and 3d has a jazzy one.

i'd love to do 3d world if it were my choice (mostly cause im a sucker to jazz music), but i would only pick it if it came to me picking the either of the ost's.

like i said, it would be a good idea to show interest for one of the two soundtracks in this thread. otherwise, ill just pick 25 songs from each ost.

Wally wrote:I'm not sure I understand the whole audio dumping issue. Are we talking about simple channel muting to make transcription easier, or actual data conversion to the audio channels in FT? I mean, if it's the latter, wouldn't it be obvious if someone did that? Any sort of conversion method is going to sound terrible.

its more or less both. data conversion can sound great if the artist knows what they're doing. even if it does sounds great, you can still notice that some things are too accurate (ex: Pxx), making it obvious that the artist converted data. as for single channel muting, it's the same idea if the artist has a nice ear. it just makes things easier

Return to “General Talk”