MIDI Importing Help Needed

General discussion about tracking, help and support.
ravinrabbid

MIDI Importing Help Needed

Postby ravinrabbid » Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:33 pm

Hi guys.
I've been into chiptune music for a while but just recently (yesterday) discovered this wonderful software. The only thing is, I found FamiTracker impractical about writing notes, so I wonder if there is a way to import MIDI files. I checked almost all the options on the interface but couldn't find a way to do it.

Shywolf

Re: MIDI Importing Help Needed

Postby Shywolf » Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:38 pm

FT versions older than 0.4.3 have a MIDI Import option, so you can experiment with that. However, there's a reason it was removed in newer versions, that which being it doesn't work properly most of the time.

PostApocolyptica

Postby PostApocolyptica » Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:42 pm

ravinrabbid wrote:The only thing is, I found FamiTracker impractical about writing notes

What do you mean by this?
Sarumi is best ship; confirmed and manifested.

YouTube
Twitter
SoundCloud

ravinrabbid

Postby ravinrabbid » Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:48 pm

PostApocolyptica wrote:
ravinrabbid wrote:The only thing is, I found FamiTracker impractical about writing notes

What do you mean by this?

Well, to someone who is used to writing music manually, it's quite impractical about defining the length of the notes, octaves etc. I would definitely prefer writing notes on a music sheet, at least a digital one.

PostApocolyptica

Postby PostApocolyptica » Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:07 pm

ravinrabbid wrote:I would definitely prefer writing notes on a music sheet, at least a digital one.

You're using the wrong software, then. This is a tracker.

As for note lengths, these can be controlled by the Sxx effect, volume macros, the Axy command, the note cut, placing a 0 in the volume column, or even using the (now-defunct) Exx command. Note octaves are controlled by the "Octaves" drop-down menu, and I believe the default shortcuts for going down or up an octave are NUMPAD / and NUMPAD *, respectively.
Sarumi is best ship; confirmed and manifested.

YouTube
Twitter
SoundCloud

LarryLarington

Postby LarryLarington » Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:57 pm

While you can't import MIDI directly into FT (effectively, at least), you CAN hook up a MIDI device (piano) and input the notes manually rather than using your computer keyboard. Much faster in my experience and adjusting your step distances honestly makes it a breeze.
Current Project: TBD
Completed: Thunder Force IV - Count Down Continue

jrlepage
Forum Staff

Postby jrlepage » Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:23 pm

Yeah it really does sound like you should've be using a tracker if you find the way trackers inherently work tedious. There are other ways of making NSFs (and other chiptunes) that perhaps you would find more intuitive. MML springs to mind, for instance.
Follow me on Twitter.

ravinrabbid

Postby ravinrabbid » Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:59 pm

PostApocolyptica wrote:
ravinrabbid wrote:I would definitely prefer writing notes on a music sheet, at least a digital one.

You're using the wrong software, then. This is a tracker.

As for note lengths, these can be controlled by the Sxx effect, volume macros, the Axy command, the note cut, placing a 0 in the volume column, or even using the (now-defunct) Exx command. Note octaves are controlled by the "Octaves" drop-down menu, and I believe the default shortcuts for going down or up an octave are NUMPAD / and NUMPAD *, respectively.

Thanks for the shortcuts, they're really handy :) Normally I use Cubase for recording and producing songs but for a while, I'm stuck with a really low-end computer, so FamiTracker is one of very few music softwares that can be run with this PC, so, I guess I'll have to practice more and more.

Potentialing

Postby Potentialing » Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:08 pm

I think there are 3 tips you must know when working in FamiTracker:

- Each channel is monophonic, meaning that, per channel, only one note can be played at a time. Try to have a melody and bass going on 2 channels, then use the Noise Channel for drums and the remaining channel for accompaniment (consider arpeggios. some people like to make them super fast like every frame or two, but I like playing arps in 8th notes)

- Triangle Channel (which produces a triangle wave) cannot change volume easily, and can only be turned on/off. Therefore, it's commonly used for bass and rarely melodies. Because of its (and DPCM's) limiting volumes, it's a good idea to tone down the volume of the other channels to balance the volume properly.

- Learn the shortcuts!! They're super essential to working in trackers like this. Here's a couple of helpful ones:

** CTRL+A (twice): Highlight all notes in the pattern
** CTRL+M: Paste without overwriting (Very helpful for single-channel pseudo-echo)
** Right Click > Expand: Spread out all highlighted notes by *2
** Shift+F1/F2 (Or Shift+Scrollwheel): Add/Subtract numbers on effect/volume columns
** Shift+UDLR: Highlight without mouse
** Page Up/Down/Home/End: Quick navigation+highlighting for spread out patterns
** F7: Play from where you currently are
** CTRL+Enter: Play the row your cursor is currently on without playing the song
** F8: Halt all sound
** You can drag an instrument and drop it over another one to re-order it
** Take advantage of the "Step" under Speed/Tempo/Rows/Frames. That will allow you to fix echo quickly, as well as quickly notate some songs you spread out!

Xyz

Postby Xyz » Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:52 am

Patashu wrote:** You can drag an instrument and drop it over another one to re-order it

This changes everything :shock:
>:( Fuck you hentai boy i hate you squid anus

Return to “General Talk”