Have made a melody but sounds not quite right

General discussion about tracking, help and support.
wyudong

Have made a melody but sounds not quite right

Postby wyudong » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:58 am

Hi everyone,

I hardly have any experience with music composition and this is the first time I try to make some 8-bit music on my own. The music I want to make is expressing peaceful with some sorrow, like the lonely or desperate feeling that people might have in space (endless darkness). I have got some inspiration from the soundtrack (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nj-LnZqY-0 near 1:04) in movie 'Interstellar' and made melody of my version.

The melody now uses the instrument that I customized from reed organ from VRC7 patch because the main instrument in Interstellar is church organ. But the sad thing is that the melody sounds only peaceful but not 'sad' :(

I wonder what's the problem with the short melody and want to hear your opinions and suggestions to make it more sorrow.

melody.ftm
(1.16 KiB) Downloaded 80 times

Stratelier

Re: Have made a melody but sounds not quite right

Postby Stratelier » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:22 pm

Hmm ... I think the problem is that it's not clear what key it's in. I want to say C major, when (judging by the lack of sharps or flats anywhere on the notes) it's supposed to be an A minor. E.g. in the first four notes of your song alone you strike an E, G, and C -- the clear components of a C major triad. An A minor triad should hit the notes A, C, and E (try swapping out that G for an A and note the difference in tone).

Also, you have phase issues between your pulse channels when they strike the same notes. Detune one of them slightly (e.g. P7F or P81) to compensate.

Roflo

Postby Roflo » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:36 pm

Actually it sounds good.

wyudong

Postby wyudong » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:35 pm

Stratelier wrote:Hmm ... I think the problem is that it's not clear what key it's in. I want to say C major, when (judging by the lack of sharps or flats anywhere on the notes) it's supposed to be an A minor. E.g. in the first four notes of your song alone you strike an E, G, and C -- the clear components of a C major triad. An A minor triad should hit the notes A, C, and E (try swapping out that G for an A and note the difference in tone).

Also, you have phase issues between your pulse channels when they strike the same notes. Detune one of them slightly (e.g. P7F or P81) to compensate.

Thanks Stratelier! I will try your advice tomorrow.

Stratelier

Postby Stratelier » Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:30 am

wyudong wrote:Thanks Stratelier! I will try your advice tomorrow.

I'm not that great with with the science of harmonics and all, but the human brain is all about pattern recognition and one pattern I do know is how in many songs the first chord played is often the key's basic triad.

Oh, and I take back what I said about phase issues because I notice the channels are separated by an octave (phase is really only a problem with same note and octave). I think my problem with the FM 2 channel is actually just its very low volume compared to FM 1. I'm aware this is still in the early stages and it'll probably balance out once you add in other parts, but for now FM 2 was so quiet in comparison to FM 1 I almost couldn't hear it at all.

Dr. Merio

Postby Dr. Merio » Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:06 pm

Stratelier wrote:phase is really only a problem with same note and octave

No, it's not. You can still have phasing issues with notes on different octaves, or even entirely different notes. Phasing on different octaves can be used to produce some cool sounds though, like a similar thing to a 25% pulse wave out of two 50% pulses.
My current avatar is why we need bigger avatars. >:C
Check out my YouTube channel!
[Dropbox (my FT stuff)]

Stratelier

Postby Stratelier » Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:50 am

Dr. Merio wrote:...like a similar thing to a 25% pulse wave out of two 50% pulses.

Which reminds me. I had one song where two 12.5% wave notes just happened to align precisely out of phase with each other, making them sound like a single 25% wave one octave higher. That really threw me until I spotted the problem.

za909

Postby za909 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:23 am

You don't actually have to go too far with the VRC7 to make a nice sounding organ as long as you are willing to sacrifice 2 channels for it.

But I don't think I can do it well
Last edited by za909 on Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wyudong

Postby wyudong » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:49 am

za909 wrote:You don't actually have to go too far with the VRC7 to make a nice sounding organ as long as you are willing to sacrifice 2 channels for it.

I can't open your uploaded file, it said 'The file was created in a newer version of famitracker.' But my famitracker is actual the latest one (0.4.6). Is just me?

PostApocolyptica

Postby PostApocolyptica » Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:36 pm

wyudong wrote:I can't open your uploaded file, it said 'The file was created in a newer version of famitracker.' But my famitracker is actual the latest one (0.4.6). Is just me?

0.4.6 is the latest stable build. 0.5 is the latest beta; 0.4.6 cannot open modules saved in 0.5 (save for text import after deleting certain lines). It helps if users indicate what version they used to create their modules.
Sarumi is best ship; confirmed and manifested.

YouTube
Twitter
SoundCloud

Return to “General Talk”