"Apply to all slots" for DPCM

Post about feature requests here.
sirocyl

Re: "Apply to all slots" for DPCM

Postby sirocyl » Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:18 pm

I'm not sure I follow what all the hostility here is about. Surely we're not just badgering someone for just asking a question, right?
Could there not be an option to specify what note the source sample is at, and have it fill in the spaces that it can, leaving the remaining ones empty?
DPCM notes are not chromatic, but their tonal relationship to one another is rather well-defined, and the change in DPCM pitch can roughly be translated to a change in semitones.
Granted, I've been doing this The Hard Way™ as everyone else vehemently suggests, but a small convenience is probably there to be had.
If we kept on doing everything The Hard Way™, we'd all still be fucking with hex editors.

Tell me if I got it completely wrong.

MiniMacro

Postby MiniMacro » Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:30 pm

Sirocyl, you've just explained what I wasn't able to even write down into words.
wow this is total BS
mmsound.bandcamp.com
you can see my beautiful music there~

ollaxe

Postby ollaxe » Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:37 pm

sirocyl wrote:I'm not sure I follow what all the hostility here is about. Surely we're not just badgering someone for just asking a question, right?
Could there not be an option to specify what note the source sample is at, and have it fill in the spaces that it can, leaving the remaining ones empty?
DPCM notes are not chromatic, but their tonal relationship to one another is rather well-defined, and the change in DPCM pitch can roughly be translated to a change in semitones.
Granted, I've been doing this The Hard Way™ as everyone else vehemently suggests, but a small convenience is probably there to be had.
If we kept on doing everything The Hard Way™, we'd all still be fucking with hex editors.

I couldn't bother to say anything given that this thread was mostly just threxx's and minimacro's "yes VS no" fight that wasn't really leading anywhere, and because I suck at explaining. But if I would've written on this thread, this is pretty much the same as I would've said, just explained worse. :D
Hi! I'm not really active here anymore but I still make music. Nowadays I mostly make dubstep with emphasis on good melodies and chord progressions.
SoundCloud: soundcloud.com/ollaxe
Twitter: twitter.com/ollaxe
Discord server: dis.gd/tK7uRnc
I'm also on Spotify. Search "OllAxe" and you'll find me.

Stratelier

Postby Stratelier » Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:44 pm

Threxx wrote:Alternatively you could not be a lazy fuck and just do it normally like everyone else

Define "normal" ;)

sirocyl

Postby sirocyl » Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:48 pm

MiniMacro wrote:Sirocyl, you've just explained what I wasn't able to even write down into words.

Glad to help.
Now, to answer: A good amount of the FT community does things the way they are, because they have a workflow set in their mind, and a procedure is followed.

Melodic DPCM? You have a number of samples corresponding to a set of notes (I used A#-D, but that was probably overkill) and just hand-pitch them to fit.
We've done it by hand that way for the longest time, and it would be a small convenience if, for instance, you have a sample corresponding to C-1, it'll highlight the corresponding pitches in yellow on the assignment box, and with the click of an "Assign corresponding" it'll fill in what it can.

Don't flame me for noob-enabling, it's just a thought ;)

edit: a word
Last edited by sirocyl on Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MiniMacro

Postby MiniMacro » Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:50 pm

Yep.
Have you seen any of the songs with DPCM triangle on the old forums, sirocyl?
wow this is total BS
mmsound.bandcamp.com
you can see my beautiful music there~

Threxx

Postby Threxx » Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:58 pm

sirocyl wrote:I'm not sure I follow what all the hostility here is about. Surely we're not just badgering someone for just asking a question, right?

There is a difference between doing things the hard way and having the tracker include pandering and useless features which will be ignored by most users.

In addition, you also fail to understand how DPCM sample pitching functions.

sirocyl

Postby sirocyl » Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:05 pm

I've actually used a DMCtri in a song, and as far as the old forums, I lurked a while, and was hesitant to post because I was pretty shy, and until I knew the status of these new forums and whether we'd be moving for sure, I didn't want to post where nobody could respond.

I've browsed a lot of songs there, but the ones that got me by the heartstrings were those with good technical skill, if not mastery. Things like crazy DPCM science (sunsoft bass is everyone's go-to, but there's a broad class of things DPCM can cover), and manipulating V01 noise/LFSR tweaking, or breaking/exceeding standard, e.g., 2600hz playback.
I guess I'm a demoscene kid in that regard. :P

Threxx wrote:There is a difference between doing things the hard way and having the tracker include pandering and useless features which will be ignored by most users.

Like, a triplet calculator?

I swear, that and this are some of the most hostile threads I've seen on these new forums, and it really does a lot to turn away people who want to be bold and take their first step onto our stage.

To everyone else: Remember. It's okay to make feature requests in the Feature Requests board, as long as you're accepting of criticism, no matter how harsh; we're not some pansy nanny hugbox.
Likewise, though, we should stop being vitriolic to requests and ideas, and further stop attacking people on basis of merit or premise.
None of that belongs in a healthy community.

Threxx wrote:In addition, you also fail to understand how DPCM sample pitching functions.

How many CPU cycles to wait before changing the level corresponding to the next delta value, right? It's a hardwired table that differs between NTSC and PAL units, and doesn't correspond exactly to chromatic notes, but doesn't differ from a certain note by more than 5 cents, or 1/20 of a semitone, through pitches 0 through 9 on NTSC units, and isn't very noticeable when playing alongside other instruments.
Last edited by sirocyl on Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostApocolyptica

Postby PostApocolyptica » Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:26 pm

sirocyl wrote:Like, a triplet calculator?

That is not a calculator. That is lookup table.

sirocyl wrote:Remember. It's okay to make feature requests in the Feature Requests board

Before doing that, bear rule 2 c and d in mind:
    c. ) Before posting a reply, think "Is what I'm about to post helpful in any way?" If not, then don't post.
    d. ) Spend time on your post. Be clear, specific, and include an example if you think it would be helpful.

Considering this forum and the old forum had a large amount of requests most would deem useless, do not be surprised at the attitude towards more useless requests.

sirocyl wrote:stop attacking people on basis of merit or premise.

As easy as it would be to attack someone on a request thread like these based on their abilities with FamiTracker, such a thing would be fallacious. The "attacking" is merely an addressal of the functionality and usefulness of the feature itself. As explained by enough users on this thread, the feature does not appear to have much use outside of very niche cases. "Doing things the hard way" is learning how to use the software.
Sarumi is best ship; confirmed and manifested.

YouTube
Twitter
SoundCloud

ollaxe

Postby ollaxe » Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:31 pm

Threxx wrote:

There is a difference between doing things the hard way and having the tracker include pandering and useless features which will be ignored by most users.

In addition, you also fail to understand how DPCM sample pitching functions.
You think it's useless because you never use the DPCM. People who actually use it will most likely find this feature really helpful.

Also, I got really irritated about your post stating that this feature would make us lazy fucks. In that case, we are all already lazy fucks by using computers to make music, or do anything for that matter. I mean, doing the hard work for us so we can focus on doing what we're doing (in this case, music) is one of the main points with computers. And working on computers gets more effective all the time, as programs add these features that some find useless while others use it every day.

My point is, if you wanna do everything the fuckin' hard way, don't use a computer to do it.
Hi! I'm not really active here anymore but I still make music. Nowadays I mostly make dubstep with emphasis on good melodies and chord progressions.
SoundCloud: soundcloud.com/ollaxe
Twitter: twitter.com/ollaxe
Discord server: dis.gd/tK7uRnc
I'm also on Spotify. Search "OllAxe" and you'll find me.

Return to “Feature Requests”