Mega Man Styled Collaboration [2A03]

Post your original music here and receive feedback.
Forum rules
This area is dedicated for original music, please do not post covers here.
Threxx

Mega Man Styled Collaboration [2A03]

Postby Threxx » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:05 pm

Unlike previous collaborative song projects on these boards, I am going to attempt to start one that features strict guidelines.

The guidelines in question: Compose a song in the Mega Man (and more broadly, NES Capcom) style.

The instrumentation is my own Mega Man styled set that I have created and used for my work on various different fangames. It attempts to be faithful to the NES games, while also acknowledging and adding elements to the style that were introduced in Mega Man 9 and Mega Man 10. It is not intended to be 100% accurate to any particular NES game; only to capture the essential elements of the sound design.

RULES:

-0.4.6 ONLY. NO BETA FTMS. PERIOD.
-No new instruments. This is strict. Edits that add instruments will not be considered for continuing.
-No samples. No NES Capcom game used DPCM in music.
-Do not change the tempo to anything other than 150. If you want to achieve a non-speed tempo, make use of grooves on the DPCM channel. http://famitracker.com/wiki/index.php?t ... mpo_values
-Do not overwrite anyone else's edits. If you want to propose a change to someone else's section of the song, make a post in the thread referencing the specific frames. (I will add a minor amendment to this rule, minor edits to the final frame of others' sections to improve a transition will be allowed.)

Further guidelines:

-Use the vibrato instruments as much as possible.
-After editing, PLEASE mark the frames that you contributed to in the module comments. This will help with criticism, especially in relation to the final rule.
-For further ability to follow the progress of this collab, please name the file "mmstylecollab_name_finalframeedited". For example, if I contributed and edited up to frame 1C, my file name in the attachment would be "mmstylecollab_threxx_1c".
-Final say on edits being included or removed from the song weighs on me. I will judge based on the quality of the edits in relation to the rest of the song, and if they maintain the stylistic choices.

Review of edits will proceed as follows:
1. A contribution is made.
2. It is reviewed by myself, if I think it is fine, we continue, if I do not think it is fine, you get one chance to fix it based on my feedback.
3. If the fixed version is satisfactory, we will continue. Otherwise, one of two things may happen.
  • I will edit it myself, and we will continue from my edits.
  • The contribution will be dropped entirely and we will continue from the previous build.

With this out of the way, I hope to see good contributions, and a well-balanced final product.

I will consider closing the collab when the song reaches 96 frames or when the thread's activity slows to a unproductive pace, whichever arrives first.
Attachments
mmstylecollab_starter.ftm
(19.2 KiB) Downloaded 104 times
Last edited by Threxx on Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:40 pm, edited 4 times in total.

psn

Re: Mega Man Styled Collaboration [2A03]

Postby psn » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:40 pm

I'll definitely contribute to this.

Lum

Postby Lum » Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:37 am

Cool idea! Here's my take.

Because of point #2 in further guidelines, I added your name and contributions above mine in the module comments and I made them show when the file is loaded. I hope that's OK. If not, I'll edit this to fit the format you think is best.
Attachments
mmstylecollab_lum_07.ftm
(26.35 KiB) Downloaded 53 times

Threxx

Postby Threxx » Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:05 am

I love it when I forget to follow my own rules. That formatting is fine, and these edits are good.

retrodpc

Postby retrodpc » Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:44 pm

I have much higher hopes for this collab.

I am not very acquainted with the MM-style, but I gave it my best shot...

EDIT: I edited my percussion to have a style more accurate to Mega Man.
Attachments
mmstylecollab_dpc2_09.ftm
(30.22 KiB) Downloaded 35 times
Don't copypasta Quotes

my sondclop

Scooblee

Postby Scooblee » Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:44 pm

I'm not the best at this kind of thing, but I added a few frames to it to see what I could do. (Most of my ideas went to the lead parts, so the bass and percussion might be a little copy-paste in some areas. Sorry about that :| )

Edit: Corrected the name of the FTM.
2: Messed with the bass and Pulse 1 to try and fix any instances that are dissonant or don't fit progression.

mmstylecollab_scooblee_0D.ftm
(35.48 KiB) Downloaded 33 times
Last edited by Scooblee on Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just another guy who does the chiptunes.
Links to my stuff: YouTube | Soundcloud | Twitter

Threxx

Postby Threxx » Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:51 pm

Simply copypasting the bassline from the earlier parts of the song will not work in terms of maintaining the later progression.

Redo the bassline for frame 0A, 0B, and 0D. (You clearly have an idea of good chord progression as Pulse 1, Frame 0D carries a better bass than the copy-pasted triangle channel).

The harmonies in frame 0A are also particularly dissonant. Even separated by an octave, 1-tone harmonies will not sound good when used extensively in this fashion.

I added this information to the OP but I am repeating it here.

Review of edits will proceed as follows:
1. A contribution is made.
2. It is reviewed by myself, if I think it is fine, we continue, if I do not think it is fine, you get one chance to fix it based on my feedback.
3. If the fixed version is satisfactory, we will continue. Otherwise, one of two things may happen.
  • I will edit it myself, and we will continue from my edits.
  • The contribution will be dropped entirely and we will continue from the previous build.
Last edited by Threxx on Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Scooblee

Postby Scooblee » Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:19 pm

Threxx wrote:Simply copypasting the bassline from the earlier parts of the song will not work in terms of maintaining the later progression.

Redo the bassline for frame 0A, 0B, and 0D...

The harmonies in frame 0A are also particularly dissonant. Even separated by an octave, 1-tone harmonies will not sound good when used extensively in this fashion.

Okay, thanks! I've tried fixing up those little bits, so maybe it sounds a little better.
Just another guy who does the chiptunes.
Links to my stuff: YouTube | Soundcloud | Twitter

Threxx

Postby Threxx » Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:21 pm

Scooblee wrote:Okay, thanks! I've tried fixing up those little bits, so maybe it sounds a little better.

Better. The collab will proceed from this edited file.

Shywolf

Postby Shywolf » Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:28 pm

Added a part.
Attachments
mmstylecollab_shywolf_11.ftm
(42.34 KiB) Downloaded 53 times