[Megaman 3] Snake Man's Theme [2A03]

Post your cover music here and receive feedback.
Forum rules
This area is dedicated to covers of existing songs. When posting a song, please include information about the original song.
Baka94

[Megaman 3] Snake Man's Theme [2A03]

Postby Baka94 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:40 am

Added some bends, vibratos and graze notes. I also used the DMC channel to make more interesting percussion lines.
Went a bit more experimental with this remix so feedback would be appreciated ^^

Original version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpVIM8de2xw

EDIT: Updated ftm to newer version
Attachments
Snake Man Remix v2.ftm
(18.52 KiB) Downloaded 132 times
Last edited by Baka94 on Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Threxx

Re: [Megaman 3] Snake Man's Theme [2A03]

Postby Threxx » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:37 pm

The arrangement is decent, but there are some weird things here which bother me.

-The use of 1xx instead of Qxy to properly target the destination note. This method is error-prone and can cause dissonance as it is not as accurate as targeted pitch bends.
-The use of Pxx for vibrato. This generally works fine at high speeds (Speed 2, Speed 1) but at speed 3 and afterwards the vibrato just sounds dissonant and off pitch. I'd recommend using 4xy instead.
-The intro is somewhat empty in the first two frames. I feel like I know what you wanted to achieve, but it just feels like those first two frames are unnecessary padding.
-The kick sample is loud and somewhat muddy.

One last thing to note is despite saying that you added pitchbends, you seem to have removed some that were in the original song. Intentional?

Other than these things, this is a decent arrangement.

Baka94

Postby Baka94 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:52 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I made improved version based on your feedback. I didn't notice how loud the kick was until I put my headphones on, so I changed the samples.
Attachments
Snake Man Remix v2.ftm
(18.52 KiB) Downloaded 84 times

Threxx

Postby Threxx » Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:12 am

The vibrato is a bit too slow/wide for my tastes, but otherwise this edit is a significant improvement.

Stratelier

Postby Stratelier » Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:29 am

I'd have to listen to the original again to be sure, but I always remember this song switching to V01 during its second segment. The near-legato style of the melody in that segment feels a little weird and too plain. And the echoes in the first segment feel a little weird to me, probably because you cut the primary note so close to when the echo sounds.

But that aside, I still like how it sounds now.