hi. an explanation and an apology.

General discussion about tracking, help and support.
ollaxe

Re: hi. an explanation and an apology.

Postby ollaxe » Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:17 pm

Yeah, it's a darn shame that it had to end up like this. Imagine if we had a world without theft. Wouldn't it be wonderful to not have to set up security cameras in stores, distrust people you don't know with the things you own, etc? Unfortunately, that's not the world we live in, and people like PPixellation are proof of that. However, I think it's beautiful that this seggregated community was able to come together like this and fight against plagiarism the way it did.

The outcome of all this may or may not have been for the best. I think it's good that a lot of artist took action to protect their works better. Obvioisly it's a shame that we need to do that to begin with, but it'll at least protect us better if something like this were to happen again in the future. However, I do think it's unfortunate that the openness of this community was damaged. It's likely that this will and that this has hindered new members from getting the feeback they need to improve since a lot of experienced artists left the forum in conjunction with this. I hope the people that are still here take care of each other and help each other despite this though. And to be fair, the community does still seem to be pretty strong in the discord server.

One good thing that came ouf of this though, even though it only really affects me, is that it happened to kickstart a new chapter in my still pretty meaningless music career, mostly thanks to Arin (or chimezard as his account here is called). Through him, I've met countless of artists and people whom I now consider good friends, and thanks to him I also joined another community which helped me move on to making the music I've always wanted to in FL Studio. And with a few huge things coming up in the next few weeks for me, I can't say that I would've been better off if this never happened, because I wouldn't have.

If anyone who was affected by this reads this post, I'm curious, how did things turn out for you? Did things turn out well like it did for me or did everything so to sh*t? Or did nothing change? I'm curious to read your perspective.
Here's my YouTube channel, my SoundCloud page and my Twitter account.

meinerHeld

Postby meinerHeld » Thu May 10, 2018 7:16 pm

Christ died to pay for your theft. I forgive you, and more importantly, if you really are turning, so does God.

TechEmporium

Postby TechEmporium » Sat May 12, 2018 9:46 pm

How has this thread been alive for 10 months?

And why hasn't the bastard stolen any of MY music? I mean is it that bad? :cry:

Kidding. It's not like you can steal music that has been put up in the public domain. ;)

But yeah... That guy clearly proved that he doesn't care & honestly, posting more shame towards him won't do much; the best thing to do is to spam all of his other accounts' comment boxes with these facts & shame him from there, if that's the whole entire goal of this. I think it's better to talk about how to actually prevent such things, frankly. It sure beats complaining about a prolific pirate on a single web forum for hobby musicians who mostly don't profit from their work.

Just sayin'...

And that also ignores the fact that anything can be pirated, no matter how you present it; upload your file as an MP3, as a base FTM, as an NSF file, or whatever you want... That won't stop someone from taking that file & doing whatever they want to it; only the fear of legal action would, if you're serious enough to practice your copyrights.
Technology: the one thing that's hated & cursed at by all engineers, technologists, scientists & technicians!
(Lousy modern technology!)

http://techemporium.bananabo.xyz/
http://techemporium.vashid.us/

meinerHeld

Postby meinerHeld » Sun May 13, 2018 8:31 pm

TechEmporium wrote:How has this thread been alive for 10 months?
Just sayin'...

And that also ignores the fact that anything can be pirated, no matter how you present it; upload your file as an MP3, as a base FTM, as an NSF file, or whatever you want... That won't stop someone from taking that file & doing whatever they want to it; only the fear of legal action would, if you're serious enough to practice your copyrights.

Using someone's music in part is obviously not stealing. Using it in whole is non-obviously (it seems) not stealing. It really honestly all belongs to God and (given) to Man, not only to specific people by themselves.You can use all of my music for whatever. Even get money get money fine. I don't want it to seem like I'm just promoting the music, but I want you to believe me, so here are the links.

http://soundcloud.com/tentative-stagename
https://archive.org/search.php?query=cr ... +Hauber%22 (some NSFs)

RavenousSoothing

Postby RavenousSoothing » Mon May 14, 2018 1:25 pm

While that may be true to you, others may not understand, and they are free to claim as they wish, and by most countries law, we gotta obey that. Big words though, that's a very risky position to take, which is brave.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN1Bwv ... vViHGRrjGw

"You are not a brave hero, the princess is oftentimes just a woman, and the dragon cannot be slain, if there is a dragon at all. That is why many choose to bow their heads and not try.

TechEmporium

Postby TechEmporium » Sun May 20, 2018 12:14 am

meinerHeld wrote:Using someone's music in part is obviously not stealing. Using it in whole is non-obviously (it seems) not stealing. It really honestly all belongs to God and (given) to Man, not only to specific people by themselves.

Even without religion in the picture, it's actually nicer to have your work acknowledged by those who use it, even in part. I've done work where I felt stuck & others have helped me; I've always made the effort to acknowledge their work in my music. And for those who have had music I was interested in expanding on, I always acknowledged the fact that I merely expanded or did something to their work.

Even in my last OST from 5 years ago, there were 2 songs that I asked someone to use (one of which I expanded) & another song that I received help on by another; even though I make my music freely available to others, I always make it a priority to recognize the works of others & give them at least their due credit. As for the OP of this entire topic, he should at least have the human decency to correct his ways, though he's made it clear that he doesn't. This said, there are better ways to do everything, from the way we distribute what we make, to the way we react to people like this topic's OP; personally, I'd rather he be shamed not in here, but in places where he distributes the things he has stolen from others.
Technology: the one thing that's hated & cursed at by all engineers, technologists, scientists & technicians!

retrodpc

Postby retrodpc » Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:09 pm

Do you think that copyright should be limited? Lifetime + 70 years seems to be a tad too long.
Don't copypasta Quotes

my sondclop

TechEmporium

Postby TechEmporium » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:34 am

What people don't realise is that copyrights last 70 years for individual authors or content creators until renewed; copyrights for products created by corporations actually last 95 years until renewed. In other words, if Koji Kondo only composed the theme music to the Legend of Zelda as his own work, unincorporated into any Nintendo products, the copyright on his music would last 70 years & he can bequeath it to his next of kin for renewal in his last will. BUT... This isn't the case; Kondo's music was made under Nintendo's supervision, for the purpose of incorporating this work into their video game franchise. This means that Nintendo owns the copyrights to his music (& the games) for 95 years & will keep on renewing it, for as long as it will make them money.

Overlord99

Postby Overlord99 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:58 pm

uh who's this lmao

Return to “General Talk”