Kick drum on triangle wave (2A03)

General discussion about tracking, help and support.
meegosh

Kick drum on triangle wave (2A03)

Postby meegosh » Sat May 19, 2018 5:23 pm

I realized a new technique (for me at least) for a good kick drum sound. If it's anything else like my other "realizations" it's probably something everyone else already knows.

I've been taking a break from the DPCM track for a little bit and using the triangle wave for my Kick drum by (1) putting "| 126 " in the Pitch setting, playing a high note (usually C5), and (3) having it cut out after a few miliseconds. Long story short, I could never find a way to successfully combine the kick with my triangle instrument (e.g., bass, etc.) in order to get a simultaneous instrument and kick. Now I've got it - there's a sample file attached with a basic bass line and drum beat.

Frame 1 has no kick. Frame 2 has the simlutaneous-kick-and-bass instrument. Frame 3 is a crappy drum fill with no bass.

"Kick" and "Kick_Bass" are the instruments in question if you wanna check out their settings. (I was writing an explanation but it was getting too stupid so it's probably easier to just take a look.)

Hope this is useful.
Attachments
Meegosh_Triangle_Kick_180519.ftm
(6.47 KiB) Downloaded 47 times

HertzDevil

Re: Kick drum on triangle wave (2A03)

Postby HertzDevil » Sun May 20, 2018 9:07 am

Instrument 01 on E-2 is equivalent to:

Code: Select all

# : Triangle     fx2
ROW 00 : E-4 00 . P02 F01
ROW 01 : G#3 00 . P02 ...
ROW 02 : C-3 00 . P02 ...
ROW 03 : E-2 00 . P80 ...

Which is not the same as instrument 00 (on either E-4 or C-5):

# : Triangle     fx2
ROW 00 : E-4 00 . 27E F01
ROW 01 : ... .. . ... ...
ROW 02 : ... .. . ... ...
ROW 03 : --- .. . ... ...

The difference between the two kicks becomes more apparent as successive notes become shorter. At such a high BPM the simplest solution is directly using the kick instrument a row above the bass:

# : Triangle
ROW 00 : E-4 00 . ...
ROW 01 : E-2 02 . ...
ROW 02 : ... .. . ...
ROW 03 : ... .. . ...
ROW 04 : ... .. . ...
ROW 05 : ... .. . ...
ROW 06 : --- .. . ...

If this is not desired, instruments 00 and 01 could use fixed arpeggio sequences that start with the same values, e.g. { 42 37 32 }, without using pitch sequences; instrument 00 can then be prolonged as necessary by appending new values to the sequence. The kick-bass instrument is the main reason fixed arpeggio sequences were added to FamiTracker.
refactoring 0cc-famitracker

meegosh

Postby meegosh » Mon May 21, 2018 4:53 pm

Thanks for the info HertzDevil. I'm still picking it apart a little to make sure I fully understand but I think it should all click soon. Very useful.

Yeah, I find myself using a mix of the two kicks (i.e., sometimes using the Kick_Bass instrument and other times just putting the Kick instrument a line before my bass instrument). They're not identical but they both generally achieve a passable low punch for the kick. And I adjust the arpeggio for the Kick_Bass instrument for whatever octave I'm playing in in order to keep the kick sound on or around C-5 (e.g., if I'm playing C-2 I'd have a Pitch effect of "126 126 126 0" and Arpeggio of "36 24 12 0", if I'm playing C-3 I'd have a Pitch effect of "126 126 126 0" and Arpeggio of "24 16 8 0", etc.).

Drillimation

Postby Drillimation » Sun May 27, 2018 10:09 pm

It appears to be the notes you mentioned are the same ones used for the bass drum and some snare instruments used in the PC-98 Touhou games.
It's the Drillimation Guy!
Musical influences come from Skaven of Future Crew and ZUN.

Return to “General Talk”