(2A03+N163) The Prodigal Son

Post your original music here and receive feedback.
Forum rules
This area is dedicated for original music, please do not post covers here.
Naijeru-Kun

(2A03+N163) The Prodigal Son

Postby Naijeru-Kun » Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:39 pm

https://youtu.be/Ydd094-_iA4

Hi! It’s music! Please, tell us what you think. We’re open to critique, conversation, questioning and anything else! Oh, and read the description for more information... por favor! <:3

MISTAKES WERE MADE
Last edited by Naijeru-Kun on Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Youtube for Dark Paradise Nigelopia music: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcILOE ... N1c-pwynjA

An explanation of all this: https://www.deviantart.com/nigelopiahq/ ... -778549988

Squidsquif

Re: (2A03+N163) The Prodigal Son

Postby Squidsquif » Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:43 am

Not bad! I really love the intro (0:00-0:06) and 0:50-1:10. It sounds like a video game opening that would take place in a futuristic city (maybe it's the neon in the drawing that makes me think that). My biggest problem is that there seems to be no structure to the song. With the melody it just wanders with out any direction. The entire song sounds like someone was improvising over it. This can work in small sections (such as 0:50-1:10), but not for the entire song. Sections of the song seem to just start without the previous one ending or leading into the next section. A really easy fix for all of these problems is creating a chord progression. This would not only fix any note clashing, allow you to create a more structured melody, and let you create an effective end or lead in at the end of each section. This isn't a bad song by any means; you just have some stuff to work on going forward ;) let me know if you have any question.
I spent all of your money on peach hats

Naijeru-Kun

Postby Naijeru-Kun » Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:39 pm

Squidsquif wrote:Not bad! I really love the intro (0:00-0:06) and 0:50-1:10. It sounds like a video game opening that would take place in a futuristic city (maybe it's the neon in the drawing that makes me think that). My biggest problem is that there seems to be no structure to the song. With the melody it just wanders with out any direction. The entire song sounds like someone was improvising over it. This can work in small sections (such as 0:50-1:10), but not for the entire song. Sections of the song seem to just start without the previous one ending or leading into the next section. A really easy fix for all of these problems is creating a chord progression. This would not only fix any note clashing, allow you to create a more structured melody, and let you create an effective end or lead in at the end of each section. This isn't a bad song by any means; you just have some stuff to work on going forward ;) let me know if you have any question.

Ah, yes, I hear what you mean. There are a lot of “filler” notes that sort of bridge the gap between “sections” of the song, that sort of make it sound like it’s just running on and on instead of being a sectioned track. I could call this a craft choice, but I’ve composed a lot of other tracks and you can hear this happen a lot in some of those tracks as well. Sometimes it does sound better to do it that way... This particular track is basically a “leitmotif jam” made to loop, sort of like an RPG encounter theme that plays in a constant loop until the battle starts. It’s composition style is sort of jazz like, instead of simple melodical phrases, it sort of riffs of itself in a whole bunch of zig zaggy directions. Sometimes I tend to feel that more is better, so instead of composing a track that goes in logical patterns, I end up making something that tries to go in more complex patterns that still sound pleasing to the ears, but they are comparable to run-on sentences.

I’m curious to hear what you will think of works I may post here in future, It’s good to get opinions from outside of the positive reinforcement bubble over here, so thank you!
The Youtube for Dark Paradise Nigelopia music: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcILOE ... N1c-pwynjA

An explanation of all this: https://www.deviantart.com/nigelopiahq/ ... -778549988

Squidsquif

Postby Squidsquif » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:09 pm

Naijeru-Kun wrote:I’m curious to hear what you will think of works I may post here in future, It’s good to get opinions from outside of the positive reinforcement bubble over here, so thank you!
I'm excited to hear more of you what you have to offer! :D
I spent all of your money on peach hats

Return to “Original Music”